Wednesday, August 08, 2012

The Outer Banks

Yes, we went to the Outer Banks in North Carolina for our vacation this summer. In May. Yes, I am slow to get the pictures up for others to look at.

We rented a "tiny" 4 bedroom, 4 bath house in Kill Devil Hills that sleeps 14. It was the smallest one
Brian could find.

We had to climb 30 stairs to get from the bottom floor up to the top floor, which was where the living room and kitchen were located. I think I lost a couple of pounds that week. Thankfully a smart person installed a Stair Tamer cargo lift  on the side of the house (you can see part of it on the left in the picture above). It slowly took our suitcases, groceries, etc., from the car port to the top story. I might have a different opinion of the house if we didn't have that.

We had fun swimming in the pool and going to the beach.



We explored our surroundings, including the Wright Brothers Memorial, which was just down the road from were we were staying. What was then Kitty Hawk has now been rezoned and is in Kill Devil Hills.


Every day I tried in vain to get my hair to cooperate. Two seconds with a blow dryer in Colorado renders it straight as a stick. But in humidity.... that's a different story:


On the 4th day of our vacation, I remembered that my curling iron was also a straightening iron. I'd forgotten about that because there is never a need to straighten my hair anymore. I haven't used the  straightening iron for a good 5 years now! What a difference that made! I felt like a whole new person when we left the house!

Tropical storm Beryl slammed into the coast on the 30th. I'm not sure I've ever seen that much rain in such a short time! 6 inches in 6 hours. We slogged through pouring rain and flooding on the way to the house from the aquarium in Manteo.






We were very grateful to get home that afternoon, as it took 3x as long as it took to get from our house to the aquarium! 

We had a wonderful time being tourists and exploring a new beach. The water was California ocean cold, but I've heard it warms up later in the summer. The prices and tourists also double later in the summer, which is why we went right after school got out in our neck of the woods! Schools in the OBX don't get out until June. Same with east coast schools.

It was nice to see some rain. We don't get much of that in Colorado. It was nice to be back by water again, and feel some moisture in the air (although I'm sure the humidity is awful mid-summer). We had fun. The kids and I wanted to stay at least a week longer! Didn't poll Brian, so I'm not sure how he felt. Score one for another fun-filled P-4 family vacation!

Click here to see more pictures!


No comments: