Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Lighter Load

I'm done with MOPS! Doing finance for MOPS, that is. Yay!!! Today I officially handed the finance binder over to the new person. I'm very excited (can you tell? I'm almost giddy inside). I tried to make the procedures clear, but somehow it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. The whole process of explaining it all seemed scattered. I wanted the new person to have more information than what I got so she wouldn't feel as lost as I did for the first few months, but it didn't really happen the way I planned. We did agree to meet again in late September to go over the procedures as she actually does them. I think they'll make more sense then.

As for MOPS, I'm still undecided about next year. I might still attend the group at my church, just as something to do (I haven't been thrilled with the leadership decisions there). I will.not. be attending two, that's for sure. Caitlin's preschool is on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Time for me!! While I'm willing to give up a few hours of my new found free time every other week for MOPS, I'm not giving it all up. But more than that, I'm giving up the error of my ways - over committing in order to establish a community.

You'd think by my age I would have figured out my own stupid patterns, and how I tend to overdo things in order to accomplish a goal. It's not overdoing in a way that makes me an over achiever, in classic sense, or some sort of control freak (although I do exhibit that tendency, too), but it manifests itself in me obsessing about something until I wear myself out trying to bring that goal to fruition. Here, it was all about establishing myself in some sort of community or group of women. And I tried too hard. The support and friends I have were (obviously) left in California when we left. In order to attempt to have something here, I joined two MOPS groups, a Bible study, and a small group. All those groups, with their own schedules, activities and needs, piled on top of Brandon's kindergarten schedule, made life a little harder than it should have been. Times didn't work well, and I felt over scheduled and rushed. So this coming year I'm scaling back. Brandon will have to be at school by 7:55 every day, and Caitlin will need to be in Boulder by 8:30 twice a week for her new preschool. I'll start with that. Maybe I'll join a gym. Maybe I'll spend time alone. Should be interesting. I'll let you know.

No comments: