Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Sick

It's been an interesting week. Besides just being busy with end-of-the year school activities, I came down with a cold. I'm not sure why it's called the common cold, as it's anything but. I managed to get through Brandon's school activities. By the time the weekend came, the cold had gotten so bad that Brian took over as the parent. I spent the better part of the weekend on the couch. My head's been swimming, the laryngitis has come on in full force, I have a lovely (and I mean lovely) cold sore now, and the coughing has gotten worse. It hasn't helped matters that Brian is on yet another business trip (on top of being gone two days last week, and all entire previous week). I can't help but think I might recover a little faster if I wasn't trying to do this alone with two kids. On top of it all, I'm not sleeping well. I can't seem to fall asleep or stay asleep. My sleeping patterns changed drastically after moving here, and still go in waves.

The highlights of my week, so far, have been:

-Brandon graduated from kindergarten! Yay! I have a bona fide first grader. We are still working on his handwriting, but I'm satisfied with his progression. He had a wonderful teacher, was part of a great class, and thoroughly enjoyed himself this last year.

-I have instituted "rest time"/"room time" for both kids. Brandon agreed that he'll stay in his room and play quietly or read while Caitlin attempts to nap. Oddly enough, I'm now getting more time to myself during the day than I did during the school year. So far I've only used this time to rest and attempt recovery, but I'm looking forward to having time to complete a few tasks during the day.

-Caitlin has decided to nap and sleep on the floor. Since Monday, she hasn't slept in her bed. She puts a blanket on the floor, with her pillow, and sleeps on top of that blanket with her blankey. Why, I don't know. Our upstairs carpet is comfy, but not that comfy.

-A new family moved in on our street last week. They seem very friendly, and have a five year old boy. J is a whole week older than Brandon, and they get along great. They were in different kindergarten classes and didn't know each other until last week, but it's been fun. It's also nice to have someone nearby for the kids to play with. Makes me miss living by the S's in California.

No comments: