Monday, February 15, 2010

More Ugent Care

Did Brandon's follow-up eye exam tonight. Waited an hour and a half to be seen!! No one was in front of us! No one was in the waiting room! Why we can't go to the urgent care facilities at any one of the 4 hospitals located 3 miles from our house is beyond my comprehension. The hospitals are approved under our insurance - why not the urgent care? Why do I have to drive 8 miles away? I have now been to the Urgent Care facility at Boulder Community Hospital in Lafayette 4 times. Only once was the wait under an hour - and that's probably because we ended up there at 8:00 pm on a freezing cold snowy night with Caitlin for an ear infection that turned out to be very minor. The other times - once for my sprained foot and now twice for Brandon's eye - have been long waits (many hours) with very little explanation and absolutely nothing that looked urgent. At all. In the slightest. This is my last time going to that one. There has got to be somewhere else. Boulder and Arvada are both only 10 miles, so I think we'll head there. I didn't have a lot of experience with Urgent Care prior to having kids, and only went a few times when we lived in the Bay Area. What I've experienced since moving here has been ridiculous. We *never* waited this long when we lived in California. Honestly, there just aren't enough people around here to justify such long waits.

Now that I'm done ranting, I should let you know that Brandon's eye is healing just fine. There isn't even any evidence of a scratch on the cornea, which is good news. Only 3 more days of eye drops! Brandon isn't a fan, but he knows they're necessary. His eye is still variations of red and pink, but there isn't much bruising, which I was told would happen. No funny colors. No greens and yellows. I should probably let his teacher know he doesn't have pink-eye. Otherwise she might wonder. I'm really happy that he's healing well. Our neighbor met us when we came home tonight. He brought us lots of ice-cream gift certificates for the new Baskin-Robins that just opened down the street, and a Cinnabon gift card. I think they feel a little guilty.  Brandon was a little perplexed, but he's looking forward to ice-cream. You know, once the weather gets above freezing!

No comments: