Thursday, April 15, 2010

Updates

I would like to blog more often. Blog updates float around in my head constantly, but rarely get put down. Life is busier than it use to be, but more than that, every time I sit down when the kids are home, they know. They know I'm trying to blog. Brandon comes over and wants to talk or wants me to read to him. Caitlin wants to look at family pictures, or look up instructional video on youtube about how to play the bagpipes (don't ask). No matter where they are in the house or what they're doing, the minute I sit down they are all over me. It's like they sense the possibility that I might want to relax!

So... on to P4 updates. What have we been up to lately?

In late March, Brian and the kids went out to California for a few days. I stayed behind. We've done this once before, and it was wonderful! The weather was much more cooperative this time than it was last time, and hardly snowed! It was cold, but not horrible. I tried to set up some lunches or dinners with a few friends and acquaintances, but only one person was available. We had a nice time. I wish I was making more headway in that area, but it isn't happening. It's all in God's hand, so I'm trying not to question His timing.

Brandon has started soccer. Although he isn't all that great at the game, he tries very hard and seems to enjoy it. He runs, passes, kicks, and plays goalie. He's always so exuberant after the games, going over all the little things he did, and how he was sure his team won (they don't keep score). We got him little shin pads, little cleats, and a little soccer ball (and they are all so small!). We have practice on Thursday evenings, and games on Saturday. From what we are seeing, this won't be Brandon's last soccer season!

Plans for vacation with Brian's family fell through, so we made plans our own. We're heading off to Florida in a few months. I've never been, so it should be fun. We rented a little bungalow on an island not too far from Tampa. It has it's own pool, and is also close to the beach. This is our first family-only vacation since we went to Hawaii in 2005. We did spend a few days in Santa Fe a couple of years ago, but it was short and was more of a get-away than a vacation. I'm really looking forward to Florida. I love getting away! The kids are excited, too, but that died down a little when they realized how far out it was! We have to finish school first, then are heading out to my parents house for a week, and then after that we go to Florida. We shouldn't tell them things too far in advance. Caitlin asked me everyday for a month about going to Nana and Grandpa's house in late March. I'm not sure why I thought this would be different.

Spring has made a small appearance in Colorado. We've had a couple of weeks in the 60's, and even a couple days around 70! There's no snow on the ground. Trees are starting to bud, a few flowers are blooming, and the grass is starting to green up. Pollens are unusually high, so Caitlin and I are sneezing a lot, and have gone through many, many boxes of Kleenex. Now if only the crazy wind would stop, it would be great! The kids are outside almost every day, too. In the last year, 8 kids have moved on to our street, and 6 of them are under the age of 10. It's been a mixed blessing with some neighbors, but the others have been wonderful. After our first 18 months on our street, we are finally not the only ones with little kids! All but one of the kids are boys, but the one girl on the street is Caitlin's age, and they get along well. God is good. I'm thinking we should start having weekly BBQ's at our house, open to all, to get to know the neighbors better.

We signed Caitlin up for pre-k next year at her preschool. We're doing 3 days per week instead of 2. She enjoys school very much. I'm not sure if she wants to be a big girl, or just loves learning, but she insists on doing "homework" when Brandon does his homework, and often sits next to me and listens when Brandon does his daily reading. She plays teacher and pretends to read to us like her preschool teachers read to her. She holds the books out so we can all see the pictures. Her stories are pretty amusing, too, since she makes up a story about whatever it is she sees on the page. Her last story went something like this: "There were a lot of cows. And a dog. And a duck found a crayon." Then on to the next page. "The pics went to sleep" (the pigs were really getting bubble baths).

All in all, life is going smoothly here in Colorado. Brian and I are exploring a few options for community around here. Things in that arena have faltered, but we are moving on. The kids are doing well, and except for my ailments, the family is in good health. I'm looking forward to summer. Only 7 more weeks of school. Yeah! I love that we get out before the end of May. I'm just sad that all the VBS's in our area must happen the weeks of June 14 and June 21st. I don't think we'll hit any of those. Oh well. We'll survive. We always do.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Well, that's fun. I want to go to Florida... to Disneyworld, of course. However, it sounds even better where you are going because it sounds quiet and relaxing. I just want warmth too.