Friday, June 17, 2011

VBS

This week was VBS at Caitlin's preschool's church. We were pretty excited it was this week because we were unable to attend VBS last summer due to travel. Last year all the VBS's took place on the same week in June - which was the week we were gone! This year it's much the same. Most of the places holding a VBS this summer are holding them during our vacation. But this year we had an exception. The kids were happy they could attend (can you see Caitlin there on the left? She's the one at the far end).

I volunteered to work in the crafts room this year, being that it's the first time both kids have been able to attend. With Brian gone all week, I'm not really sure what I was thinking. 3 non-stop hours of children was a bit grueling (there were 110 in attendance, with about half under the age of 5). I kept telling myself "it's only 3 hours", but I'm wiped out! I'm not sure I'd make it as a preschool teacher! With the feet and leg problems I now have, my legs get really stiff at the end of the day when I'm on them for an extended period of time. In all reality, I don't know what I would have done with all that time to myself, but one day would have been nice! Live and learn, I guess.

I was amazed at the church volunteers, too. Most of the VBS staff was made up of church attenders and the preschool teachers. The parent volunteers probably made up about a quarter of the staff. The church skews older, so I'm sure the kids felt like they were hanging out with their grandparents. In the middle of the week I overheard one of the volunteers say "I keep waiting for that second wind to kick in, and it never does!" That phrase kept reverberating in my head for the rest of the week. I haven't been this truly exhausted in a long time. The birds waking me daily around 4:30-5:00 weren't much help, either. I tried to bribe the kids into going out to lunch yesterday, but they were so tired they just wanted to go home. When has your kid ever turned down eating out?

We all had a good time, though. Along with VBS, we've done two play dates, soccer, and a afternoon at the pool. I'm tired! They're tired! But they loved it. They even asked if it was going to happen again this year. Maybe after vacation? Ha ha! They don't want to wait!


No comments: