Friday, January 19, 2007

Happy First Birthday


Happy First Birthday, Caitlin! I can't believe that you are one. This time last year, I was in the hospital, and you were almost ready to come out and greet the world (and boy was I glad!). And here you are, one year old. You walk, and sort of talk. Your first word was "hi", and we love how you say it when you enter a room, and you wave at us.


Just think of all the things you've learned in the last year.... how to eat, how to
drink, how to crawl, how to walk, how to grab things away from your brother, how to demolish a train table in 27 seconds flat.... the list goes on. I've learned a lot of things, too. Mostly, I've learned about speed....speed cleaning, speed showering, speed dressing, speedy food for you (since patience is one of the lovely virtues you have not learned!), and speeding after you as you quickly moved from room to room in our house!


You have been active since day one, and kept us on our toes with your rolling over at 3 1/2 months, crawling at 6 1/2 months, and trying desperately to walk since you were 9 months old. You finally succeeded right after you were 11 months! There have been some bumps and bruises along the way, along with a trip to urgent care to bandage up the nasty cut on your head. You've explored every possible nook and cranny in our house, and pulled open every drawer. At least all those house I spend babyproofing our house paid off. I've never had to secure so many things to the wall. Safety and earthquake inspectors would be proud!

And now you are one. My little baby girl. You're a toddler now, I suppose, with that little Frankenstein walk! The last year was a blur, and I don't expect it to get any slower as you and your brother continue to grow. And so we go.... sometimes the days crawl, but the months and years go by at lightning speed. Soon you'll be two, three, riding a bike, dating, moving out to go to college.... so slowly, and yet so fast at the same time. It's all worth it. I'm so excited to see who you'll become in the next few years. Let's just take it one year at a time, shall we? I'm glad that God chose me to be your mother, and I'm proud to be able to stay home and take care of you. It's been fun. I still *love* naptime (on many different levels), but I look forward to more years of fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy 1 year old Caitlin, I love you.