Monday, July 27, 2009

Not Your Client

Dear ___________:
I'm writing this letter to let you know that I am not your client.

We are friends. I like hanging out and talking with you. In some cases, our children are friends. It's wonderful. You have a home based business. It's all fine and good. Really.  I don't mind coming to your parties. I might even buy some products, provided I need them, but there's no guarantee. I might not purchase a thing. But whatever I do, please stop pestering me! I'm not your bank account, your retirement fund, your additional income that you need every month. Purchasing the products you're pushing will only happen if I want it to happen. There have been changes afoot in our household, and I am trying out a lot of things right now. Detergents, cleaners, face products - it's all up for negotiation. On top of it all, your products are not cheap. No one is selling products on sale, or even for a good price! Until I try these things on my own, I haven't determined whether or not they're worth the price you/your company are asking me to pay. The price seems inflated to me. Probably because you're selling through a multi-level marketing design. It's not your fault, but it is now something you need to learn to deal with maturely and gracefully, knowing full well that you're trying to make money off of me (even if you truly believe your product is great!). You're not there, yet. I can no longer be around you without feeling the hard sell of a businesswoman rushing into our space.

But you know what's really bothering me? I liked you. We were friends. Our kids wanted to be together, and we made play dates. It was fun. I thought there was potential. But I was wrong. After a couple of months you made it pretty clear that the 15 minute drive to my house, or anywhere in between, was too much for you. Then silence. No answers. I didn't hear from you for a while. Months and months. No play dates. Nothing. Oh, but I hear from you now! You're always calling me - inviting me to open houses, or trying to get me to buy new products. I'm not sure I like the new way I'm fitting back into your life. Something smells.

So, thanks for the re-introduction to a product I was already familiar with. I like what I've purchased. Maybe I'll purchase more. But please remember this - I am not your client. I'm just someone you once knew.

No comments: