Tuesday, March 16, 2010

It's March - So I Must be Sick

March is one of those weird months in which the temperatures rise up and fall down. This is the month where I'm tired of the snow and tired of being cold. I think it's because March seems to herald the arrival of spring in California. Even though it will be a couple of months before anything besides the tulips grow, I'm still a California girl and I still want things green instead of brown. I'm sure we'll get a few more snowstorms between now and the end of April, but I can hope, can't I?

March is also the month that I get sick. I know that fluxuating temperatures don't help, but otherwise I have no idea why March is so wonderful for incubating illness. Last week I woke up with a sore throat and had a headache. It got progressively worse, into a nice head-cold. I had to bring treats for Bible Study on Wednesday; otherwise I probably wouldn't have gone. On Thursday we had a soccer meeting in Boulder. Brian was gone on business most of the week, but got home Wednesday night and worked from home Thursday afternoon. We were talking about dinner plans, and my right eye started watering. Then it got all gunky. Then it turned bright red. All in about 5 minutes. I took out my contacts, put on my glasses, and went to dinner and the soccer meeting. By the time we got home my eye was swollen and bright red. My guess was pink-eye, but I never got it diagnosed. Instead, I pulled Caitlin's pink-eye eye drops from the cupboard and started using them. Friday my eye was no longer red, gunky or watery, but was still incredibly swollen. More eye drops and glasses. It's now Tuesday and I'm still in glasses, although I'm attempting contact lenses today. I looked up pink-eye on the internet, and I guess you can get it just from being sick. Makes sense, although it's never happened to me before. I've always caught it from someone else. I can't wait to be done with the eye drops. They irritate the skin around my eyes. And the laundry. Between both kids having eye issues last month, and mine this month, I've done more towels and linens in one month that any one person should have to do in three!

I can do without the coughing, sneezing, throbbing headaches and runny nose, too. It's getting old. Medications like Advil and psuedophedrine help, but only for a short time. I don't remember when I started buying Kleenex in bulk at places like Costco, but I can no longer imagine not having a few boxes stored in the garage for times like this. It's just so constant, too. All I want to do is collapse on the couch. Yesterday I was so lightheaded around lunch time that I wondered if I should have been using a knife! I haven't spent much time in public because I don't want to infect anyone. Today I need to do some grocery shopping. At least all the stores have the Lysol wipes for the carts. Usually people use them to wipe carts off before shopping in order to keep themselves healthy. I'll do that, and wipe it down after using it so the next person can remain healthy!

I'd like to be well by then end of this week. Next week is spring break, and I'll be with the kids by myself most of the time. Brian's been traveling, but has (luckily for me) been home for almost a week before he heads out again tomorrow. I want to do some fun things with the kids, providing the weather's good, and I don't want to have to take eye drops and boxes of Kleenex with me.

No comments: