Wednesday, July 18, 2007

It's Been Hot Here

It has been hot here. The locals say this is unusual, but I don't believe them anymore. Every time there is hot, cold, or rainy weather in the bay area (anytime there's anything other than clear, cloudless, warm days), the meteorologists freak out on weather report. It's like they can't handle weather. Here, no one freaks at a cool day, a hot day, or a crazy rainstorm. That's why I think these days of 99 degrees are more normal than everyone would like to let on. I got caught in a thunder storm last week. I went to Safeway. It was dry, just thunder and crazy lightning off in the distance when went into the store. 10 minutes later it was pouring, the parking lot was under 3 inches of water, and I got completely drenched during my mad dash to the car (which was parked very close!). Luckily I didn't have the kids. And it was warm, so I was only a little chilled.

But I digress..... it has been hot here. There isn't much to do with the kids, and most outside areas are off limits. Who wants to continually burn their legs on the slide? The sun is a little more searing here, so even easy playing at a park makes the kids tired, and makes Brandon complain about a stomach ache. All the indoor play areas are crazy with kids on days like this. I have the patience of a gnat, so a bunch of screaming wild children can put me in insane mommy mode in a matter of minutes. Especially if the parents are not nearby to play referee (or are nearby, but sleeping, reading, talking on the phone with back to their kids - I'm not exaggerating!). I'm sure it will be similar in the winter if we get a bunch of snow or rain. I couldn't deal with a bunch of crazed children in an indoor play area yesterday, so I filled our old sandbox with water (there's no sand in it currently) in the backyard, and put the kids in their bathing suits. Brandon is still in his size 2T bathing suit and t-shirt, by the way. Caitlin has developed an irrational fear of water, which is making bath time oh so much fun, and wouldn't go in the pool at all. Here, Brandon is trying to convince her to get in the water, but she wouldn't. She didn't scream nearly as much in the bath tub tonight, though,



For more pics of our water afternoon, click here.

2 comments:

Christa said...

Cute pictures of the kids. Caitlin sure looks long... she had slimmed and has height, and long legs. sure looks like they were having fun. It was 110 here when the girls were here, no fun,, I really liked the weather near the coast better then here.

Anonymous said...

yesterday it rained here. RAIN. in SUNNYVALE. in JULY. the channel 5 news was going on about how it hadn't rained on july 18 in the 100+ years they'd been tracking weather patterns. it was surreal (and muggy). but i was working from home and kept the windows closed and had the a/c on occasionally and it wasn't bad. (oh, and i had an orange, fuzzy assistant nudging my arms while i tried to type and rubbing his jaw on the corner of the laptop) :)