Thursday, August 16, 2007

On Traveling Back to California

We had a great trip to California. After a crazy and eventful flight, thanks to Caitlin's inability to sit still, we arrived at SJO, got our rental car, and headed over the the grandparent's house. We had the great idea that I should get luggage, and Brian would head over and get the rental car. We walked together to baggage claim, and then Brian headed off. The luggage arrived approximately 5 minutes later (seriously, that *never* happens). The car seats had arrived earlier, and were in the oversized luggage section. There we were, me and the kids. I had the car seat carrier slung across my back and a suitcase in each hand. Brandon was pushing Caitlin in the stroller. We headed outside to the passenger pick-up area, and proceeded to park ourselves on a bench. It wasn't particularly late, but it was getting cool outside, and there was a breeze. I didn't even bother to bring a sweater, since it's been a hot summer in Colorado. It doesn't cool down here at night - I guess it's more like Sacramento in that way - and it's much drier. We sat and sat on our little bench, and I was so cold. It never occurred to me that I would have acclimated to Colorado so quickly as to be cold in California in summer. Brian managed to get the rental car that had the trick drivers side mirror (translation - the mirror actually fell off the car when he went to adjust it!), so it took him a while to get another one. Between our early arriving luggage and the mirrorless car, the kids and I sat outside for 20-30 minutes. We watched the dumb drivers try to park, and the inexperienced parents try to put a car seat in a rental for close to 20 minutes. We watched several emotional reunions, and the experienced flyers and drivers come and go with ease. I don't think I've ever been so happy to see a Chevy Impala in my life! We were all cold, hungry, and just ready to leave the airport.

We had a great time visiting with Brian's parents, uncles, and his grandfather and aunt, who came down to visit from Montana. We also had fun reconnecting with our friends. I got to see my friend Leanne, my friend Chris, and my friend Arlene. We don't have anybody in Colorado. It's not a very friendly place. I'm glad Brandon has gone to his summer preschool, and will be heading off to regular preschool soon, since we have no buddies for him to hang out with. I think I'm an outgoing person, and I've tried to step that up since we moved, but there are no results. Very few people seem interested in taking on another person or having a playdate. Of course, I felt that way back in S-town, but I had so many acquaintances that I didn't feel alone, only on the sidelines. And, I had my good friends, who understood me and were fun to be with!

Brandon and Caitlin had fun playing with their old buddies. Brandon and Max hung out and did boy things, while Brandon and Emily held hands and played "Ring Around the Rosey" about 150 times! Caitlin played well with Alex, Anna and Josh. Anna and Caitlin are very much on par, and kept up well with each other. Most kids her age can't keep up with Caitlin, so it was really nice to see her running and playing with someone her age! Caitlin thinks she's much older than she is, and is always trying to be with the big kids. I wish she could hang out with Anna more!

I only wish that we had more than just a few days there. I got to visit Trader Joe's and Ikea (woo-hoo, but I miss them). Brandon got a hair cut at Lollipop Cuts. It was such a relief to know that he would look normal afterwards! I do need to find a place that's closer to get his hair cut, though. I even went to Mervyns, which was quite an experience! But Brandon needed more jeans, and most places don't make them with a small enough waist to fit him! I realized that in some ways I've acclimated to my surroundings far more quickly than I thought I would. I don't feel like I've acclimated at all, but our trip proved me wrong. I'm just fine here on a humid day, since a really humid days in Colorado is kind of like a regular day in California. The bay area weather was much colder and damper than in Colorado, and I was cold almost all weekend! I wonder if I'll be hot the whole time when we visit over the Christmas holiday. It's not humid in California, unless you compare it to places like Nevada, or Colorado! When going to the stores, I realized how much more crowded it is there, and was frustrated by all the crazy drivers! I stood in long lines at the stores, which I am not use to anymore, and was surprised at all the accents around me. I don't run into a lot of people here that speak English as second language. Maybe in Denver, but not really in B-town, or the surrounding area. In general, it took a lot longer to do anything because of the crowds. An acquaintance here who is from San Jose told me that I feel that way, but I didn't expect it to happen so soon! It's only been 3 months!

I took lots of pictures while we were there. That's the joy of digital cameras! Click here to see pictures from our trip!

1 comment:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

I'm so glad I was lucky enough to be in town the same time you were. It was so nice to see you in real life and not just on the blog!

Lisa