Monday, January 19, 2009

On Being Three

The kids and I headed down to the park, and were talking to Caitlin about her birthday. Since we'd had a party for her on Saturday, she thought her birthday was that day, too! I think birthday's should be celebrated on the actual day, too, so we had cake tonight, and opened gifts from family.

Caitlin celebrated her birthday in style on Saturday. Her bestest buds, of which there are 3, and a their parents and siblings came over to party. I thought that Shrinky Dink necklaces would be a fun idea. I *must* have been thinking Caitlin was 5 or something, as it was a little too much for the 3 year old set, but the 5 year olds and parents were really getting into it! Oh well. My other wonderous craft was decorating your own cupcake, which went over a little better than the necklaces. We went through a heck of a lot of cupcakes and sprinkles, 10 dozen Chick-Fil-A chicken nuggets, and a bunch of cut-up fruit. We really didn't think we'd go through all those nuggets, but we were wrong!

It was only 3 hours out of our day, but Brian and I were just beat after everyone left. We should have napped when Caitlin napped, but there was much cleaning to do. We ended up going out to dinner that evening because I couldn't muster up the energy to cook. It's amazing how tiring even doing a simple party at home can be!

The funniest part of our day today was when I told Caitlin that today was her real birthday, even though we'd celebrated with friends on Saturday. She got a very confused look on her face, and said, "But I'm not big." I was also confused, so I asked her "Did you think that you'd be big like Mommy when you turned three?" Her response? Yes! Poor Caitlin. You have many more birthdays to go before you're as big as Mommy! I'm not in a hurry for that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

she looks big to me! :)