Thursday, February 12, 2009

Cards and Tattoos

Each season of life brings something new. For example,when I had a baby I was introduced to the vast world of baby products (previously an unknown in my life). Some things were great, some were useless, and everywhere I went I'd find that you are judged by some on what products you purchase. Are they cheap? Are they practical? Do you get carried away by cutsie things? Sadly, this judgement carries on in other seasons of life.

This year it's Valentine's Day cards.

Brian and I don't celebrate Valentine's Day. Seriously. I put out a few cute Valentine-y things - like heart covered towels and soaps. But otherwise - no cards, no meals out, nothing. Instead, we save it all up for our anniversary, which is February 27th, and have a wonderful meal out. Fondue! Our favorite!

Brandon's class is having a Valentine's party. Last year he didn't care much about it. We made our own using construction paper and some Creative Memories heart punches. It was fun and easy. This year he cares. So I entered into the new world of school (minor) holiday parties. We went up to Target to pick out a package of Valentines. No candy or food allowed, so we settled on some "Cars" themed Valentines with tattoos. We purchased them, brought them home, and went about pulling them apart (perforated), and folding each one. Brandon wrote his name on them while I searched for his list of classmates provided by his teacher. The tattoos were pretty small, and hard to pull apart. I told Brandon I'd take care of them.

So last night, around 10:00, I had to use scissors to get those stupid tattoos apart! Granted, I have issues with my hands that make simple tasks such as opening a bag of chips or squeezing liquid from a bottle monumentally painful, but this was ridiculous! Then I needed to put each tiny, stamp-sized tattoo into minuscule, pre-done slots on each Valentine. I ripped a few on accident. Good thing there are 32 cards in each box, and we only need 25! After the first few, I could no longer see straight! Brian had left earlier on a business trip, so I was fairly exhausted by the kids bedtime routine alone, and also by all the extra things I had to do for MOPS that I wasn't expecting to do last night. I think my eyes were crossed. An episode of "Clean House" played on the TV in the background, and I couldn't tell you anything about it. I'm not normally the kind who keeps the TV on for white noise, but I was last night!

Did I finish? Oh nooooooooo. Not until this morning. I set the alarm and got up earlier than I should have just so I could attach little tattoos to little Valentine's Day cards. Brandon took them off to school today. Informed me on the way home today that we didn't make one for his teacher! Great. So tonight I'm digging out a little tattoo to attach to a little card. I'm sure she'd get more use out of a bottle of wine. So would I. But the school district frowns on that!

3 comments:

Christa said...

I know what you are talking about. We had a little boy bring these same cards into class today, undone. It took 4 of us in a hurry to get the cards ready, and I had to cut the little car tattos with scissors, not fun. Hope all is well otherwise. ♥

Jodi said...

HAHA! That was such a funny post. It sounds like some of my past Valentine's Day parties for my kids....

Anonymous said...

maybe give her some non-alcoholic wine? and a note that says "it's the thought that counts!"

hehe - maybe next time ditch the tattoos!