Sunday, February 22, 2009

Could It Be?

About a month ago I traveled back to California to visit some friends. It was a combined Christmas/Birthday gift from my dear hubby, and much needed. I needed to be away from the children and from my known world. The cathartic time I had simply being with two of my *highly missed* friends was wonderful. Who knew I could eat a meal without asking someone else to eat, too? Or get only myself ready in the morning? Or just sleep? Although I had three days, it was not enough.....

Anyway, the Monday after I returned Caitlin decided that she, my big 3 year old girl, no longer needed to wear diapers. Caitlin! Caitlin who had herself close to being potty trained last summer and decided against it. I didn't want to write about this wonderful chapter in our lives because I didn't want to somehow jinx it again ('cause her regression back to diapers was hard to take!). But, for the last month, Caitlin is no longer in daytime diapers! Yeah! She still wears something for naps and to bed in the evenings, but not during the day. I'm trying to get her past that stage, too, since she is reacting badly to the "new and improved" Costco diapers. Rashes and blisters. I need to get to the store for something new. Sadly, she is again on a round of antibiotics for a painful ear infection, but at least that is combating some of her diaper rash issues.

It took me a few weeks to deal with the reality of potty training yet again, but I'm good now. I know where all the bathrooms are. I'm remembering to ask Caitlin to use the bathroom before we leave the house. The nice thing about diapers is that you don't have to worry about that. The bad thing about Colorado is that public officials by-in-large do not expect that anyone will be out during the day in winter, and all the public bathrooms at the parks have been locked since November. Even on 60 degree, non-windy days (yes, there are a few non-windy days here!). So far, Caitlin's bladder capacity has been big enough to wait for a little while until we find an open restroom. Luckily, the waits haven't been too long!

I think I can get use to this. Let's hope that there is no more regressing!

No comments: