Monday, April 20, 2009

Heading Towards Spring

I put my snow boots away today. They looked a little strange sitting out next to my sandals. While the snow was much needed, I am looking forward to weeks that don't call for both sandals and snow boots. We might even have a day or two in the upper 70's this week! I'm not ready for summer yet, as the summers I've experienced in Colorado are hot and don't cool down well in the evenings. Having air conditioning helps, but who wants to live out summer all shut up inside? I am ready for green, though. The arid brownness of Colorado in winter is so bleak and stark that only layers of snow make it worthwhile. My soul loves green, and I'm ready for it! I'm also ready for the awful winds to die down, and ready for the sometimes frigid cold to be done. It was 19 below zero in December! Of course, after summer, I'll be ready for the cold weather. However, for as much as I love all four seasons, and autumn is gorgeous, the bleakness of winter here is a little hard to take.

Almost all the snow that pelted down on us on Friday is gone. Thursday was a day of rain, as was Saturday. All in all, I think we got about 2 1/2 inches of water in those three days, which is quite a lot for here. Everything seems greener - except our front lawn. But everyone else's lawn seems greener! Trees are beginning to bud, and some flowers are blooming. Everywhere there is the sound of water - all the snow melting, running, gushing down the roof, the rain gutters, and on to the pavement. Our street looks like a river. I wore my sandals again today. And look - my tree has recovered from Friday:



The Easter decals on our front window, the ones with the happy bunnies and eggs and flowers, don't seem so strange now that the snow is gone. They looked a little out of place last week!

No comments: