Thursday, April 23, 2009

Tofu!

Brian managed to get standby on an earlier flight home last night and made it home before dinner instead of the expected 10:00 pm arrival time. Yesterday was packed for me, and I hadn't planned a family dinner, seeing as it was originally just going to be me and the kids. I got home around 6:30 and tossed together a quick tofu stir-fry using the WestSoy Thai Sesame Peanut baked tofu, some sugar snap peas, red bell peppers and peanuts. Target's Archer Farms brand has a Thai peanut sauce that we've used for a fondue dipper before, but also works well for stir fry. The real wonder of the evening - Brandon declared his love for tofu last night! He ate all his dinner - all his tofu, all his sugar snap peas, his peanuts, and his crunchy (raw) carrots! It was a banner night at the P-4 household! He's still not convinced that the brown basmati rice we've switched to is as good as the white basmati rice he loves, but he'll come around eventually. This is the third time we've tried the baked tofu on the kids, and the first time Brandon has eaten without tears. This might be the first time we did the Thai Sesame Peanut tofu. Usually it's teriyaki. I'll have to pick up some more soon! I'm all about vegetarian eating if that's how we can get the kids to eat proper proteins.

Lest you think dinner was perfect and that we're rocking the tofu world here in Colorado, you should know that Caitlin ate her dinner begrudgingly. She still thinks I'm trying to poison her!

3 comments:

Christa said...

Sounds tasty.. Here, only Elizabeth and I eat tofu and we both really like it.

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

You need to email me re: the tofu. I might be able to sneak that into Coley's fried rice, which she WILL eat. So... I should try that!

Andy said...

Nicholas ASKS us to go out to sushi. He loves the tofu pockets with crab and rice. (And watching the boats!)

He'll eat diced tofu from the salad bar occasionally too, sometimes dipped in balsamic dressing.

Lucky us. Of course, if it's a choice between tofu and some other protein, tofu gets eaten last, if at all.