Thursday, May 14, 2009

Upcoming Summer

Brandon just told me the most wondrous news today - only 10 more days of school! To be honest, I'm looking forward to it. Completely and totally. I may have a change of heart in 11 school days, but right now it sounds like good news to me. I think I just need a break from the school year. Every parent must feel this way at one time or another (I can't be alone in this sentiment!). I need a break from the pressure of time. Of the rushed requirement of leaving every group that I've struggled to be a part of this year early in order to get Brandon to school on time. A break from the monotony of dropping Brandon off at school. Of picking him up at school 2 hours and 45 minutes later. Of standing outside at the school, which channels both the wind and the searing sun. Of letting my kids blow off steam at the kindergarten playground in the dirt and rocks. Of doing homework (not that the reading and writing is going away for the summer, but I might take a week off!). Of all the papers, informational and artistic, that flood my house and are drowning me!

I don't know what summer holds. Today was the last day of my weekly commitments. Aside from balancing the MOPS books and passing the finances on to the next person, I am done for the summer. I'm not sure what the kids and I are going to do. The last two summers were long and hot, with few breaks. However, two years into our Colorado adventure, the kids and I have finally made a few friends that we can hang out with sometimes. I need to research local centers to see if I can find anything for the kids to do. They could both use a gymnastics class! I didn't get on the ball earlier, so I'm probably too late to sign them up for anything. Such is the life of the mom who doesn't think of that sort of stuff! There weren't a lot, if any, extracurricular activities around where I grew up, so signing the kids up for fun stuff doesn't enter my mind most of the time. I've got to get better at this. Especially now that the kids have had a taste of friends and daily activities!

I'm sure by mid-August I'll be so ready for school to start that I'll be able to taste it! Just like I look forward to winter by about July, I am still ready for the cold, snow and wind to be done sometime around February. Next year I get a few hours a week to myself, and I can't wait. The year will be busier and the days will start earlier, but getting those few hours might make it all worth it!

1 comment:

threeforme said...

i am feeling the same, but for slightly different reasons. i can't figure out how to do the school thing with 3 kids. i want some time where we don't have to be anywhere at any particular time. but i'm sure by sept. i'll be itching for them to return to school.