Tuesday, May 26, 2009

May Showers

It's been raining for days now. The temperatures hover somewhere in mid 50's. We've gotten both drizzle and bouts of heavy rain (half an inch or more in under an hour). Laundry is a mish-mash of both shorts and tank tops from our 90 degree temps early last week along with sweats and long sleeved shirts from the last few days. I'm loving the rain, and beautiful green-ness that it brings. Colorado is not nearly as green as people think it is, so I need to enjoy the few months we have. This is our third May in Colorado, and I think I'm finally getting the patterns! I'm also acclimating.

Our first May rainstorm was in the low 40's, and I pulled out a few sweaters for me and the kids. Last May, thunderstorms rolled through town on a regular basis. I remember being grateful for days at home, as I had just broken my little toe on my left foot, and had a sprained right foot. Wearing flip-flops in rainy, cold weather is not now, and has never been appealing to me. I wanted to wear socks, but wasn't looking for sweaters. This May, during the rain, I tackled my closet. The middle bar was sagging and the shelf was pulling loose in the corner. Turns out the support for the closet wasn't properly set up, but I didn't figure that one out until I'd gone through all my stuff and purged a few things - including sweaters I haven't worn all winter. This weather we're having just doesn't seem all that cold to me. Must be the dry air. Must be the fact that most of December wasn't above zero, and I got use to real cold. Must be because I'm figuring out Colorado, and how to live in these dry, often extreme conditions. Now if I can just get down how to live in the heat during the summer without withering like a flower in the sun, I'll be doing good!

No comments: