Wednesday, May 23, 2007

It's Like Winter in California

We managed to get to a park today. There was a lone little girl at the park, playing by herself. No adult around. So odd to me, although I remember playing outside alone as a kid. Most of the houses around here are part of developments, and each includes a lot of green, open space around the houses. Each open space seems to have a park/play structure area for kids. These little parks are found every couple of blocks in the most populated areas. We have one just up the road here, but I don't like it. We live on a golf course and everything, but the slides and swings are icky. The playstructure looks abandoned and corroded.

Anyway, the little girl's name was Heather, and she is 5. She lived across the street from the park. Brandon must have thought he died and we'd gone to heaven. He and Heather played and ran all over the place for 45 minutes, until she had to go to school and we had to go home. I haven't seen him so happy in a long time. He was visibly upset when her mom showed up and said she needed to go to school. I'm working on getting together with people. Maybe next week!

I'm glad we left when we did because the rolling thunder started around noon. It was so strong at times that it shook the pot racks on the wall. The rain started not long after, and it's cold outside. Not bad for here, I guess (the weather reporters seems nonplussed by the day). I have all the lights on upstairs because it's so dark in the house.
the view from our front door





Yes, folks, it's 43.7 degrees outside. That's winter in California.



I'm not sure we had a daytime high this low in S-Town this year. Maybe during the cold snap in January when we were sure all our plants died, but that's about it. I'm pulling out all our winter clothes right now (after packing them away because the weather in S-Town had been in the mid-70's to low 80's for a while before we left). However, the clothes are just for today. Tomorrow is suppose to be around 65, then back up into the mid-70's later in the week. However, the last few days has made me think that we might have to do some cold-weather clothes shopping before next winter.

2 comments:

Christa said...

Glad you got to a park. Sounds like Brandon is going to want to go back soon.
It was in the mid 80's here today, suppose to be around 90 tomorrow. I am not looking forward to a hot summer.

Mike said...

Brrrrrrr!!! I guess this is my CA native bias showing, but it's insane to me that there could be temps that low in mid-to-late May. Not to mention the drastic changes (although I got that in TX when I was in college).