Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Packing, Packing, and More Packing

Packing, packing and more packing. It's making us all cranky! Packing isn't fun, but on its own it's never made me cranky. Packing for a family - that's a different story. Of course, all of this packing has to be done in addition to our already hectic schedules. It's not like Brian gets less work while he's at work, or that the kids miraculously leave me alone when I want to pack. On the contrary.... it just gets worse. On a regular day I feel like I have accomplished something if I manage to get up and get a shower in before the kids wake up. The feeling of accomplishment increases if I manage to blow dry my hair and put on some makeup. Right now the house is a mess, everyone is under the weather, and there is no sense of accomplishment anymore. I don't think I will get that feeling back until we leave, on the morning of the 8th. After May 7th there will be nothing more to pack. After May 8th there will be nothing more to clean. The only focus for the next few days will be driving, eating, and keeping sane. At least with driving you know there is an end. Somehow, with packing, there never seems to be an end in sight. I know it's there - I'm just temporarily blind to it.

I'm not use to packing up all my stuff, 100% of it all. I'm use to the across-town moves that involve packing most of your stuff, but not stressing about your china, dishes, or fragile stuff. In those across-town moves, you can put those in your car and drive them over. Not this time. We're packing down to the junk drawer. We're eating everything in the fridge. We're doing it all. I keep telling myself that others do this all the time. It always seems easier when it's not you.

What I am going through:

-the realization that I have a lot of stuff. And that I like my stuff.
-the realization that all that stuff looks awful when it's getting packed into a box.
-the fact that I don't want to pack.
-it's difficult to pack with kids in the house. My room is now off limits due to many boxes and exposed stuff. Caitlin hates that. She stands at the gate and screams at me when I'm in my room. Even if all I'm doing is getting dressed.
-Brandon still worries that we aren't going to take his trains to the new house. Those will be the most traumatic to pack.
-The kids are being ignored, and I'm being punished for ignoring them.
-My mind is constantly elsewhere, thinking of all the things that have to be done. The fact that I am not in the moment is cause for much whining and gnashing of teeth.
-My nails are breaking. For me, that's the first sign that I'm internalizing stress (it's took me years to figure that one out!).
-Not sleeping well. The stress of the move topped by Brian's snoring is waking me up several times a night.
-Brandon's obsession with death and where we go when we die isn't helping. I didn't think I'd get those questions so soon. He's only 3 1/2!
-Packing, packing, packing!
-Immense thanks to all those who are helping out with kids and/or making meals. It would be much, much harder without you.

1 comment:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

I know what you mean about it all. Especially your fingernails. Isn't that funny? Mine have been shredded!

At least you have a date to look forward to. Just 3 more days!

Imagine how great it will be to pull in to Colorado! The weather so cool, the air so clean. You'll love it.