Thursday, May 10, 2007

Hello from Beaver Creek

We made it! Another day of traveling with our cranky selves and our cranky kids, but we made it to Beaver Creek (about 10 miles outside of Vail). Here is the view from our living room window. And, it doesn't even do the scenery justice! Since our drive tomorrow will be much, much shorter, we are going to take it easy in the morning and walk around Beaver Creek before we hop in the car and drive drive drive...



According to the odometer in my car, we've traveled about 1030 miles since leaving S-Town. Too much driving! However, I keep reminding myself that driving from California to Colorado was a conscious choice, and that I do really want to see the US! Our drive today was just beautiful. We drove through the Uinta National Forest in Provo, which went from the Uinta forest to the Uinta hills with no trees. We left the green, tumbleweed and grass covered high deserts of Utah and entered the lush green valleys of Colorado. Brandon was enthralled with the cows, horses, and "fluffy" sheep (unsheared - and yes, very fluffy!). He was equally enthralled with the tractors and "big machines" that dotted the countryside. After driving through the valleys, we entered the Rocky Mountains, and the White River National Forest. Here is one of the shots from the car cam (me, holding the camera and snapping while driving. Probably unsafe, but I did it anyway).


Lots of driving, combined with listening to Baby Einstein CD's, means I have a lot of time to think. If I could just somehow put all the random thoughts that run through my mind when driving straight on to this blog without having to type... well, you'd all be wondering about me. Things I wonder about while driving....

Why did I think that driving would be fun?
Why can't we get out of our hotel room in under 3 hours?
Why did my feet shrink after 2 pregnancies? Aren't they suppose to get bigger?
Although I prefer greenery and trees, the high desert and salt flats have beauty all their own.
The "striped" mountains in Utah and Colorado are so cool!
What is going on on "Lost" if the fertility stuff is a waste of time, according to the "hostiles" (Nestor - what is his character's name? Why doesn't he age?)?
Why doesn't Caitlin like watching DVD's?
Why does she try to eat her toes?
Why must my kids have complete breakdowns when it's time to leave the hotel?
Why do big rigs pass other big rigs?
Why do certain big rigs pass me? Am I really going that slow?
How is it that I can *always* find Spanish language stations on AM radio? Does everyone speak Spanish? And why does all the music sound exactly the same?


Finally, before I go take advantage of the jacuzzi tub and plethora of hot water available here (It's off season - or mud season, as they call it here. We might be the only people in our building. We are the only people on this floor), I will leave you with pictures of our kids stylin' in the car, watching their DVDs.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

absolutely fabulous pictures, and great descriptions! thank you for sharing this stuff with us. I miss you already - i know we don't see each other often, but i miss knowing you're nearby! you've also inspired me to start an online journal, but i'm probably not going to be as eloquent as you. :) love to you and Brian and the beautiful blonde babies!!!