Monday, June 09, 2008

Adventures in Home Maintenance

We need to make a list of all the things that need done around the house and call someone. There are a few things that the house inspector suggested fixing that we weren't able to get done right away, as winter was quickly approaching when we moved into the house. Now we'll need to add replacing the kitchen faucet to the list. I sat down today to replace the faucet. The current one is not only ugly, but is sprays water all over the counter if you push it the wrong way. I'm sure that a new washer would fix that, but the handle screw is completely stripped, so I can't even remove the handle to even get to the faucet cap! And, water still gushes from the faucet when you use the separate spray nozzle. Niiice...

So, finally after 7 months of living in our current house, I'm finally getting around to replacing the faucet. Brian and I found a faucet we liked a few weeks ago, and I purchased it last weekend (it's been out of stock). Today I opened the new one, laid out all the pieces, got the tools I needed, turned off the water main, and began. I've replaced a faucet before, and pain as it was, it certainly wasn't hard. That, however, was not this faucet. I can't even begin on this one! The first step is the loosen the coupling nut on the supply tube. Forget that! The biggest hurdle... I am not a body builder! I might possibly need to be one in order to do this. They would not budge! I even put W-D 40 on them to help them along with the loosening. Nothing! And the supply tubes are all copper instead of flexible tubing. I'm in serious danger of twisting that stupid copper tubing right off with the force I'd be required to use to get the coupling nut off! I noticed it was already starting to twist, so I stopped. Who put this sink together in the first place? The Incredible Hulk?

Now, after an already emotionally hard morning, I'm completely frustrated with our faucet. The kitchen's a mess, and the all the contents that are normally under the sink are all over the kitchen. And, on top of it all, I have a faucet that I can't get back into the box. I can't replace the one I have, and now can't return the expensive one I bought!

So much for getting the Handyman of the Year award.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We're also having faucet problems. We could (a) buy the identified failed part but wait 28+ days at no cost under warranty, (b) order it on-line and MAYBE get it sooner than (a), or (c) buy the entire faucet set, but of course, that isn't a warranty covered option in (a).

*sigh*

threeforme said...

I'm impressed that you are changing it. I just found a list of all the things we said we needed to change when we moved in 4 years ago. Ummm....yeah. Not much got changed. So...7 months? I'm impressed.