Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Sunflower Farms


Took the kids to Sunflower Farms today. Good thing my friend Sharon called me at 9:00, or I never would have remembered. The mere act of writing things on the calendar use to mean I had a 95% chance of remembering it. Since motherhood....? The chances are down closer to 30%. Not only do I have to look at the calendar all the time to seer the images into my mind, but I have to write things is dark ink. If I do pencil, I can't see it!

So - the farm. It was okay. It was all the way up near Longmont, which is a small town about 2o miles away. It isn't so much the mileage to get there, as the amount of time it takes. And there's no easy way, either. You can wind your way through downtown Boulder, which is slow going, or you can wind your way around on multiple country roads until you get to highway 287, which is then a straight shot to Longmont. Longmont itself seems to be a decent little place, but there is nothing intriguing to make me want to go there in the first place. The farm is a working farm, meaning that I'm letting my kids run and play in someone's front yard. It was a little strange to realize I was eating lunch and playing with my kids right in front of someone's house. It was almost $20 for the three of us to go there, and the kids were too young to partake in anything offered at the farm, except for feeding the livestock and the chickens. The one good thing is that Sharon was there. Other MOPS moms were there, but I don't know them (even after 9 months of MOPS), and this was not the time to get to know them, either, as they were all running after their kids!

I'm not sure I'd go again in the near future. Brandon had fun with his friend Benji, and Caitlin spent some time time running in the water (good thing I travel with a towel and extra clothes). The change of scenery was nice, too. And, really, I want my kids to know where food comes from, and that people lead different lives. I know these things, and I'm glad. However, the price and distance aren't putting this one high on my list of things to do again over this summer. Colorado is a hot state in summer, and we all went home covered in dirt. I'm well aware that this is how life is on a farm, but I'm not a farmer's wife - on purpose!

No comments: