Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Battening Down the Hatches

There is a winter storm warning out for most of Colorado, including the areas we live in. We haven't had snow, or any type of moisture, for months now. This winter is the second driest in Colorado's history since they began to track these things. It's been horribly windy all winter. Grasses and trees are so dry that a spark could set off a fire. Trees are starting to bud, and we're all watering our dormant grass because it looks like we have lawns made of straw (and we're all tracking it inside, too). A spring blizzard would be welcomed by just about everyone here.

I'm not at all worried about the snow. After all, it is Colorado snow, which at it's heaviest, is lighter and fluffier than California snow. And, we don't live in the Rockies, so whatever amount we get won't be as bad as say, Vail or Aspen. However, tonight I found myself checking our pantry and refrigerator to make sure we have enough food and milk. Going out tomorrow might be rough. I'm making mental notes about clothing and blankets, even though we have a well insulated house. I'm doing a double take on where the snow bibs and snow boots are, since kids are attracted to snow in the same way that magnets are attracted to refrigerators. Even Brian plans on working from home tomorrow to avoid driving in the crazy traffic that snow like this creates. It feels a little odd to be doing this, being as we don't live in the country. There is store only half a mile away. On top of it all, I'm a stock up shopper, so we could live for a month on the food we have. We might not like our meals, but we would most certainly not go hungry! And, this storm is only suppose to be over us today. Tomorrow should be clear. But here I am anyway - checking to food. Closing the drapes for warmth. Making mental notes. Is that the mother in me, or do most people do this?

I'm anticipating good snow tomorrow. I'm hoping for it. I'm not going out unless I need to. My part of Colorado thinks that the sun will melt the snow on roads, so the plowing is pretty abysmal. They only do the main roads in town . You know - the ones that no one actually live on. The sun doesn't do a great job melting the snow when it can't get through the clouds.

No comments: