Friday, March 13, 2009

Cleaning Mode

Last week I left a porch full of stuff for the VVA to pick up. The VVA is the organization that sends postcards to your house saying they'll pick up your charitable goods and leave you a receipt. I don't know much about them except that they are legitimate, but they did come, as promised and picked up all my things. I've been in "spring cleaning" mode, if you can call it that, for a few weeks now. We seem to be drowning in an ever-present sea of clothing and toys that no one is using. I have a fantasy of living in a sparsely decorated room with just the furniture we need. However, deep down inside, I know that I like cozy. And sparsely decorated rooms are the opposite - sterile. Still, I'm tired of the excess. I'm tired of picking it up, stepping over it, or shoving it in the corner. I just want it gone! I've cleaned out the floor of my closet, the drawers in Caitlin's room, and the basement closet. All her size 2T clothes have gone to an old neighbor whose daughter is a year younger, a few still nice baby items have gone to another friend with a 1 year old, and the rest have gone to charity. I just can't toss it into the landfill if it's still good. I'm still in the process of weeding through our exorbitant supply of books and getting rid of the baby books that the kids have outgrown. That one takes longer, as Brandon is now able to read most of those books now.

I'm trying to teach the kids how to go through their things and make decision for themselves about the items they no longer play with. It's hard at their ages, since *everything* seems important. We can't be sentimental about everything, though. I find it's easier for them to part with their dearly beloved items when they know the recipient. "Baby Timothy" is a friend's 16 month old child who has received many fun toys from the kids. They like to pass these things on to him. Caitlin is happy that another little girl gets her clothes, since she's 3 and no longer fits into her size 2 baby clothes. Everyone younger than them is a baby, regardless of the age difference. If that's what they need to believe to part with their things, so be it.

Now, if I can only move past this stage. I don't mind getting rid of stuff, but my need for neatness and organization can consume me. Sometimes being a stay-at-home mom can be a little mind-numbing, and I think this is just my brain crying out for a little stimulation. I'm busy, but it's just busy-work. A little personal interaction might slow the organizational habit for a while, but that has been the hardest to come by since our move.

No comments: