Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Monterey Bay Aquarium

Due to some unexpected travel a few months ago, Brian had a comp day at work. He took it today, and we traveled down to Monterey to visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Brandon had a ball. Caitlin did too, but in a different way. Her favorite place was the stairs, and she was really into the elderly. Maybe they all look like older versions of grandparents to her. I had to stop her from stalking them everywhere she went. Mostly I didn't want her to trip up anyone who already had trouble walking (she was really into a guy with a walker, and loves wheelchairs). Brandon liked the sharks, the jellyfish, the penguins, and the Splash Zone. Caitlin liked being able to walk on a water bed-like floor at the baby area in the Splash Zone. I still like the sea otters. Especially after lunch, when they were napping. Just floating around, napping, right up against the window. I understand. That's about the only way I can sunbath - napping on an air mattress in the water on a warm day!

Monterey has been a part of my life since childhood. I remember when the aquarium was "new", and how different Cannery Row looked when it opened. Now I'm use to it (it has been over 20 years!), and it's changing again, with a hotel nearby. I will definitely miss being by the ocean. It almost made me cry today to realize that the ocean and the bay won't be a part of my daily life in a few months. It's odd to think that I won't be able to just drive there when I need my seaside fix. I have visited aquariums all over the world, and MBA is still my favorite one. Maybe because I am most familiar with the cold parts of the Pacific. Warm oceans are nice, and there is a lot to be said about being able to go to the beach and not freeze, but I still like the northern California coast up into Oregon and Washington. Beautiful, cold, uninviting in places, and full of life.

I'm too tired to write all about our day, so I'll just post a few pictures for your perusal. Enjoy!


Dad and kids viewing the kelp tank

Caitlin's favorite place

Brandon's contribution to Caitlin's lunchtime adventures

Brandon would only sit in this after I assured him that it was fake and that the clam shell wouldn't close on him

Contemplating stepping on to the water bed floor in the Splash Zone



The penguin that really wanted to talk to Brandon!

1 comment:

Christa said...

Looks like it was a fun day.