Monday, April 16, 2007

bored kids

Caitlin whines in stores. That's just what she does. It drives me insane, and I am really hoping that I will get use to it someday. However, since I've never gotten use to Brandon's whining I'm not holding my breath on Caitlin's. So today we are at Trader Joe's doing our "scaled down because we are moving in 3 weeks" shopping (it involves getting enough wine, cheese, and a few other not-so-important items to last a week or so). Caitlin is whining. I am asking her to shush. Some lady has the audacity to tell me that my daughter is bored. Bored, and, oh, "under stimulated" in the shopping cart. Exactly what am I suppose to do to "stimulate" a 15 month-old in a shopping cart when all she really wants to do is get down and run around? Invest more money in a gimicky cart cover that she'll never take to? Seriously, if one more person tells me that my kids are bored I'm going to hit her. Neither one of my kids likes grocery shopping. Since I don't own a gun or have the desire to go kill my own food, I guess we are just going to have to be bored and do our hunting and gathering in the frozen foods section. Why do random women feel the need to constantly give me advice in the store? Do I really come off as that bad of a mother? I'd like to string them up by their toenails, but the authorities are unforgiving about stuff like that. My kids are smart - a little too smart. No, I can't keep up with them. Get over it! It's a grocery store! My husband tells me to give the quick, squinty-eyed sarcastic smile. Since it's a lot nicer than what I want to do, I'll have to start.

4 comments:

Christa said...

I can understand your frustations to others remarks. I used to get them all the time when out and about. It was more (said to you but so I could hear) "Doesn't your mommy feed you enough?" I did say things to them and would then take you and walk away. There were other remarks also over the years. I always wondered how their "perfect" child did in real life.

threeforme said...

I may offer my child to them. You know, since they are perfect and all. Obviously they think they would do a better job.

Ro said...

I feel a little better now. This woman also didn't understand how Caitlin didn't like to watch videos, or like to sleep in the car. Both would be nice, but Caitlin doesn't think so. The drive to Colorado will be interesting, to say the least.

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

What's WITH people, anyway? I hate when stuff like that happens.

It was so nice to meet you on Sunday!

Lisa