Friday, June 29, 2007

Colorado Observations

Now that we've lived here for almost 7 weeks, I can complain write up a few things that I have observed about this area of Colorado. Keep in mind that these are coming from a California native who spends a lot of time alone, mentally and physically.

*Coloradans, as a whole, don't feel a need to go anywhere in a hurry. At first I thought I felt this way because I am always right on the cusp of being late, so I never bothered to share this observation. Brian brought it up one evening, and I felt validated. He's always on time, so at least I know it's not just me!

*The sky over Colorado is way cooler than the sky over California. The clouds... the colors... the rain... I use to get so sick of the of the clear, cloudless, warm days that we had 8 months out of the year in the Bay Area. Here, although it's much hotter, there is more daily variation.

*It's hotter here. Air conditioning makes our house livable, but....

*No one has ever thought to put a kids play area in the shade! Why not? I mean, there are a few trees around here.  Haven't found one park with any real shade! Which leads me to my next observation.....

*What do people do with little kids when you can't go outside and play? The slides and play structures are blazing hot by 10:30, and my kids actually cry when they are outside. They want to slide and play, but they can't.

*I can only go to the play area at the mall, the rec center, or Chick-Fil-A so many times in one week. I'm getting ready to crack!

*Evenings do not cool down here. I'm sure that's a Bay Area exclusive. But after 19 years of living in the Bay Area I'm use to it. It does cool down at night to the mid 60's or so, but not until the wee hours of the morning, and only for about half an hour at that. It's often still 75 degrees or hotter at 10:00 pm, and back to 70 by 7:00 am. Oh my word, that's a heat wave where I'm from!

*Primetime on TV starts an hour earlier. While there are some benefits, the negatives outweigh them. Nielson must not bother with people who live in the mountain time zone. I mean, how can you watch any programing when you have jobs? Or young kids? Or anything? Do people just do everything earlier here? Get home earlier? Eat earlier? Go to bed earlier? Our times for doing things during the day haven't changed at all since moving here, and may never change. I'm sad that I'm never going to be able to watch "Jeopardy" again unless I have a DVR. 

No comments: