Thursday, September 06, 2007

Doubting Thomas the Train

Tonight, before bed, I was reading Brandon a story from his Precious Moments Storybook Bible. The Bible is fine, but I find it a little disturbing to see Adam and Eve wandering though the Garden of Eden, naked, looking like they're 5! Or that Jesus dies, is resurrected, and appears to a bunch of 3 year olds with tear drop shaped eyes! That aside, we read stories from this book often. Tonight we read "Jesus Appears to His Followers". When I got to the part about doubting Thomas, who wanted to feel the holes in Jesus' hands and side, Brandon asked "Was this Thomas the Train, or was this a different Thomas?" He asked with such sincerity that I almost started laughing. I told him it was another Thomas, and left it at that. The mental image in my mind of Thomas the Train and Jesus stuck, though. Brandon looked at me again and asked why I was breathing funny. No reason, honey. Just trying. Trying not to laugh while I'm still reading. Trying not to visualize the faces of your Sunday School teachers when you bring this up during story time sometime in the next year. Trying not to think of the money we'll need to spend on therapy when you're old enough to figure out that Thomas the Train didn't live during Biblical times.

No comments: