Monday, March 17, 2008

Entering Phase #712

Woke up this morning to 5 inches of snow. It started snowing yesterday afternoon around 4:30, and just kept snowing all night. I stumbled downstairs at 6:00 to watch the news, after waking up to Brian's radio, which he forgot to turn off yesterday morning before he left (talk about waking up confused! I had no idea where the sound was coming from!). I wanted to watch the local stations to see if the schools were closed or not. I didn't expect the schools to be closed, but you never know. The weather reports kept touting this storm as a heavy one. I guess they got a blizzard here 5 years ago, on St. Patrick's Day, and no one's managed to shake the memories of that day yet. Today was no blizzard. It wasn't that cold last night, so the snow didn't stick to the roads or sidewalks. This is the most snow we've had overnight with the least amount of trouble on the roadways. We had far less a couple of weeks ago, but the cold weather made the snow stick, and there was a lot more black ice on the roads. I didn't take me any longer to get to Brandon's preschool this morning than any other morning, which was nice.

It has been an interesting last few weeks here with Brandon. He's given up napping, which isn't such a great thing. It would be okay if he could handle the day, but he can't. By late afternoon he's grouchy and whiny, which is never fun. It's even less fun when Brian's out of town on business and I know there is no one else to be with at the end of the day. Caitlin still naps for about 3 hours each afternoon, but Brandon just "rests" for about an hour in his room. I haven't quite figured out what to do with him. He wants to be with me, and be entertained by me. He just doesn't get that I have stuff to do, and precious little time to do it. Does any 4 year old get that? I don't want him watching TV or videos during that time, so he gets to rest in his room. I've found that his not napping is wearing me down. I have so little time to do all the things that need to be done, and then his grouchy attitude gives me a grouchy attitude. I know, I know... my emotions shouldn't rule me. But that's a hard call when you're tired and haven't completed the basic tasks of the day. My house is a disaster, dinner isn't in the oven, and the bills are late. By evening my brain feels just as run down as my body does, and it feels like I can't cope anymore. At some point I'd like to sleep well at night, but I haven't been able to do that since we moved here. I'm so tired! I'm sure this will all morph into something else as Brandon gets older, but it never feels like a phase when you're right in the middle of it. Between Caitlin's lovely temper tantrums (her entering the "terrible twos" will be another post), and Brandon's afternoon whinefest, I'm falling apart. My mornings are fun, but afternoons are wicked! I'm so happy for bedtime I could sing! (and seriously, I can't sing).

Any suggestions?

2 comments:

threeforme said...

I do an hour and a half of quiet time for Padyn. She's in the playroom, with a pile of books. I tell her what the clock needs to say before she can leave. If she comes out before hand, no TV that afternoon.

When the 1 1/2 is up, I usually let her watch 30 minutes of TV so I can finish up the things I need to do before Kate wakes up. Then we go outside and bike or run until dinner time. The sometimes get another 30 minutes of video while I am making dinner.

She's wanted to stay with me before, but she just talks to me the whole time. I tell her it's my quiet time, too, but she doesn't get it. The only way I get things done is if she's in her room for that 1 1/2. So, the house is never totally clean, but parts of it are usually clean. It's not terrific, but it's not terrible, either.

Ro said...

Thanks for the hints. I'm going to buy Brandon a clock and try this, just as soon as I get to Target!I've already mentioned the idea to him, and how Padyn does this for her mommy. He thought it was a good idea. So, hey, I'm up for it!