Saturday, August 30, 2008

Oh Yeah, I Have a Blog.....

No, I didn't really forget that I had a blog. Well, maybe. I'm still reading ones out there, in my few minutes of free time, but even that's been random.


Brandon started kindergarten on August 20th. Since then, we've been tweaking our lives to learn to live with this new schedule. He goes to school from 11:45 to 2:30 every day. The school is close by, maybe half a mile away. But this new schedule is just so odd - and I'm trying to fit our lives around it. We have had to rework most areas of daily life just to figure this out. Seriously, kindergarten shouldn't be this hard!

Food has been one of the hardest things. Due to the start of school, I've been trying to keep things low key this week, which means we aren't going out much (not that we have anywhere to go....). Brandon has been waking up around 7:30 and has a big cup of milk. He then eats breakfast around 8:00 or 8:30, and is only mildly hungry around 11:15, which is when he needs to eat something . We need to start our leaving process around 11:30 (shoes, bags, any schoolwork, etc), so we can be at the school around 11:40. Trying to figure out what to feed him at 11:15 has been hard. He doesn't want lunch, but the snack has to be healthy and enough to keep him full until school's out at 2:30. Right now he's all into organic whole-milk vanilla yogurt, along with the blueberry and flaxseed granola, from Whole Foods (it's one of the few places I can find flavored whole-milk yogurt!). We might get more into bananas soon, and other filling snacks. He has another filling snack when he gets home, too. And, I'm trying to incorporate more protein into his breakfasts so he won't be hungry. I need to hit Sunflower Farmer's Market again to get some good, healthy ideas.

We had our first foray out into the real word the other day. I went to the opening brunch for my Bible study on Wednesdays. The morning was interesting. I got up at 6:00 am to walk. I return home around 7:00, and need to leave around 8:40 to get to Boulder between 9:00 and 9:15. Back in my PK (pre-kid) days, that would have been completely doable. These days.... forget it. I'm not sure how walking is going to fit into Wednesdays anymore! Really - I couldn't do anything right! I did manage to get us all fed, dressed, and out of the house before 9:00 am, though. I got to pick my study early, since I was helping run a cashier's table. I picked out a Beth Moore study on the Psalms. I've only done one Beth Moore study years ago, but I've seen her at a conference, heard her on the radio, and really like her work. And, if I hate it, it's only one semester. I'll do a different study starting in late January. It can't be worse than last year! Although I felt convicted to stay, I also felt like I wasted several months in a study I hated. On the bright side, Brandon ate 3/4 of a sandwich and some dried banana chips on the way home. At least feeding him on days that we have morning activities should be so bad! Our mornings have to start earlier on those days, and will eat quite a bit on the way to school.

I'm really hoping to get this new schedule down soon. It's quite a bit different than anything we've done for the last couple of years. I can already see that I won't have much, if any, time to myself, which might make me a bit batty. We'll see how it goes!

No comments: