Thursday, October 04, 2007

It Is So Dry....

It is so dry in Colorado. I wish I had some sort of punchline to finish the sentence, but I don't. The 10% humidity that we're having here is terrible. My eyes hurt. I'm unable to wear my contact lenses more than a few hours a day. My lips are dry. I'm constantly thirsty. My hands ache without lotion. It doesn't help that I've washed them 422 times today already since both kids are sick and I don't need anyone to get sicker. Lotion lurks everywhere in my house, and car, and purse. What doesn't hurt? My face. That is so far the only good thing about low humidity. I have very oily skin. Except here. It was oily in the summer, but the last few days it's just been normal. I've taken showers at night for 2 days now. I usually can't do that because my hair gets a nice oily, greasy shine overnight, regardless of how long ago I washed it. But now, it's just normal. It's made my mornings with the kids a lot easier. It does feel odd to blow dry my hair at 10:00 pm, though. I checked the weather sites we have bookmarked. It's 70% more humid in Las Vegas and 140% Phoenix than in Colorado. How's that for statistics?

The weather here is schitzoid. The past few days have reached highs in the upper 60's, which I think is great. Yesterday at 11:30 it was 61 degrees. At 1:30 it was 79 degrees. Today it's already 80. I think that the high over the weekend is suppose to hover between 50 and 55 degrees. I can't start to pack summer clothes, or winter clothes, or sandals, or anything. And we move in a week! We sleep under a wool quilt (which is surprisingly cool in summer) and have had to keep a down duvet at the foot of the bed because the nights can be so cool. I'm looking forward to having my bedroom upstairs now, because heat rises. The average daytime temperature downstairs is 65 degrees. I'm so glad we are almost done with this house.

I should go check on Caitlin. She's tired, but refusing to nap. And it's making me schitzoid!

3 comments:

Christa said...

I understand the dryness, that's what it is like here. Lots of lotion and drink plenty of water. It's a bummer about not wearing your contacts. Have you considered getting a humidifier?
I look forward to cooler weather here, as you do. But our weather is more consistant.

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Yes, get a humidifier if you haven't already. In fact, get several. I remember itching, itching, itching when we lived in the Springs. Bedtime = itchy. I HATED it. So yes, humidify and see if that helps.

Ro said...

We have a whole-house humidifier in the new house, and I am excited to learn how to use it. I remember dry winters when we lived in the Sierra's, but I think this is worse. I remember our old tea kettle that was full of water on top of our iron fireplace. Brandon keeps getting chapped around his mouth. So far no skin itching, but I'm sure that will come later on with the cold weather. I've stocked up on Aveeno!