Friday, October 26, 2007

The Question of the Day

Brandon and I were working out in the garage today, trying to clear a few more boxes out. Brian's gone next week anyway, so there's not rush, but eventually he would like to park in the garage, too. Brandon, in all his innocence, looks up at me, and the following conversation ensued:

Brandon: "Mommy, how to do babies get into their Mommy's tummies?"

Me (not exactly sure how to answer that one): "Uh, the daddy puts the baby in the mommy's tummy."

Brandon: "But how do the daddies do that?"

Me (again, totally unsure of what to say): "Oh, there are ways to get to mommy's tummies that only daddy's know about."

Brandon (slightly confused by my answer): "Did Daddy rip a big hole in you to put the baby inside your tummy?"

Me (trying not to laugh, but still can't think of a good way to answer these questions for a 4 year old): "No, he didn't rip a hole in me. But there are other ways."

Brandon: "Like your bottom"

Me (mentally screaming aaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!): "No, not that way."

Brandon: "Like your mouth."

Me: "No, not that way, either."

Brandon: "Tell me, I want to know."

Me: "You have to be a daddy first."

Brandon: "I want to be a daddy now."

Me: "You're too young to be a daddy."

Brandon: "When can I be a daddy."

Me: "Not until you're twenty."

Brandon (looking dejected): "Oh."

While I don't want Brandon to grow up with some distorted idea of how babies are made, I don't really want to sit down with him and explain the whole baby-making process. He's 4! Now Brandon's going to have some sort of complex that he can't be a daddy until he's twenty. And then, if he isn't a daddy when he's twenty (which I really hope he's not), he's going to be the only male on the planet feeling his biological clock ticking. Those years of therapy are going to cost a lot. I guess I should start saving now.

By the way - how do you answer his question? He's a boy who wants details!

3 comments:

Jodi said...

I have heard of some really, good, Christian books that you can buy as a set. You can buy them as a pack or separately. Each book is for a specific age of the child with info they're ready to hear. I researched the books, and they are called "God's Design For Sex Pack" by Stan & Brenna Jones and Carolyn Nystrom. You can find them (and other great parenting resources) at www.familylife.com. I hope this helps you!!

Ro said...

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it. These questions just sideline me sometimes!

Jodi said...

I know what you mean!! It's hard to know how much to say and how detailed I should be. I think you did a good job of acting when you were really going "AAAAAAA" inside. That was cute. So, I guess we can add "acting" to our repertoire of motherly duties, huh? :) Let me know if you get the books (maybe the library?) and if you like them...