Friday, October 19, 2007

A Shout Out to Roy and Donna

In my feeble attempt to set up our new home, I need to thank two people. First, I need to thank Roy. I knew Roy way back in the days of 20/20 - the singles group where Brian and I met. Roy was a friend, and also very handy. He helped me to change some light fixtures in the first apartment Brian and I lived in when we got married, and hang stuff on the walls. We talked about life and love, and he told me all about the wonderful woman he was dating. He later married her, and they have a cute little family now. Roy also wanted a new cordless drill, but couldn't justify getting a new drill when his old Makita worked just fine. I mentioned my need of a power drill, and lo and behold, received a used, but well maintained Makita drill as a (surprise) bridal shower gift. I use that drill all the time. It has become part of me (I'm actually getting sick of the sight of it since I see it so often these days). I have been the drilling queen - taking down things in our rental and hanging shelves and curtain rods in the new house like they are going out of style! Without that drill I would not be nearly as far as I am! Nor would I be in good spirits. So, thanks, Roy, for the drill. I think of you whenever I use it.

Secondly, I would like to say thanks to Donna, my mother-in-law. Many moons ago she gave Brian a Black and Decker laser level stud finder for Christmas. You know, the kind where you can not only find the studs in the wall for your heavy items, but line up the holes for your nails or screws, and your shelves go up perfectly? I'm not sure Brian has ever used it, but I have found it to be invaluable. Since receving that gift, I have never had to re-hang anything due to to it being crooked. I wanted to hang up a shelf in the kids bathroom the other day, since they don't have a medicine cabinet. The thought of the Tylenol and toothpaste being within Caitlin's grasp just didn't sit well with me! I knew what box the stud finder was in, and I searched for it for an hour in our box-filled garage just so I wouldn't have to estimate where to put the drywall studs. I hate redoing things! I finally found it, and not only do we have a high shelf in the bathroom, but we also have curtain rods and curtains in all the the bedrooms, and the living room. Yay! I'm hoping that Caitlin will sleep in tomorrow morning, but I know that's just a dream. Rain, shine, snow, wind - Caitlin wakes up at 7:15 on the dot! Anyway, thanks Donna for the stud finder laser level. I couldn't live without it. Okay, I could, but my life would be far more crooked!

1 comment:

Christa said...

Sounds like the house is moving along and you are getting things done. Sure helps to have handy tools. I am considering getting some of my own, as your dad has his own projects.