Monday, May 12, 2008

Issues With CSI

I have a love/hate relationship with the show "Forensic Files." (I use to stay up way late back in 1998, when I first got cable, to watch "Medical Detectives" (now known as "Forensic Files") and Vh1's "Behind the Music". TMI, I know). Anyway, I find the forensic investigation fascinating, but hate the fact that something bad has to happen to someone in order for an investigation to start. I've heard that the field of forensic science has been booming at universities across the U.S., with women comprising most of the student body. I wonder if most of these students know how long it takes to solve most crimes based on forensic evidence prior to enrolling in the classes? One can only hope.

I watched CSI the other day. Wow. That was bad. I think I've seen a snippet of it here and there, and thought the same thing. But, wow, it was really, really bad. I keep thinking that it was going to get better. It has to! After all, this episode had Rachael Harris and Katey Sagal. It had to be good, right? But no, it just kept getting worse and worse. How is this show popular? It wasn't a drama. It certainly wasn't funny. The dialogue left a lot to be desired. And the very quick working fingerprint database....? Loved how that worked. But hey, Marg Helgenberger has never looked better. She's improved a lot since "China Beach." I'm sure I'm going to be insulting several friends who just love the show. But, hey, everyone's different! I've been known to love shows that the rest of the world thought were just weird ("X-Files", anyone? "That 70's Show"? Love "The Office," "Scrubs", "Lost," and back episodes of "Good Eats"). I'm a cable girl at heart, and watch very little on network TV). Luckily, my husband and I share the same warped sense of humor, and enjoy similar shows on TV. Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's the show. But I've been wondering for days how CSI enjoys any popularity at all, and how on earth it has managed to spawn not one, but two spin-offs? It's been days since I watched the episode, and the mediocrity still haunts me. What I'm wondering now is..... Why is this even taxing my brain at all?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'll agree that the speed of the fingerprint database is unrealistic. in fact, the speed of most of the investigative techniques is unrealistic -- that's just done so they can touch each piece in 40 min or less of air time. i'll also admit that the current season is NOT a strong example of what drew me to CSI. if you ever get the urge to try it again (which may never happen), try renting a DVD from season 1 or season 2.

a lot of the good drama is in the personal lives of the characters, but after this many seasons with the same characters, they're reaching for plot ideas.

for the record, the puns are always bad and rarely funny, but they're there in every episode -- just like they are in every episode of Law & Order (at least the ones featuring Lenny Briscoe).