Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Oh.My.Gosh!

OH.MY.GOSH.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


It really shouldn't be so amazing to me that my boy took a shower today. After all, he hadn't bathed since Sunday. What was so amazing about this was ..... (ready....) BRANDON TOOK A SHOWER!!!! This is a first. He took his first shower a couple of months back, after swimming in the pool at the rec center. They have the wall-mounted foaming soap dispenser there, which, as we all know but don't admit, makes everything about taking a shower even better. And that was a first for us. I thought that might be the end of it, but he requested (yes, requested) to take a shower last time we were at the rec center. I'm still not sure why he wanted to take a shower, but being upstaged by his little (and more daring) sister might have had something to do with it.

Tonight Brandon came up to me and told me he wanted to put his pajamas on by himself tonight so he could go fast. Playing Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii with Daddy has become a fun pre-bedtime activity for the kids, and has increased the speed with which we get into our PJs. I reminded him that it was bath night, but if he wanted to take a shower he would be able to play the game sooner.

And he agreed!

Of course, the downside about having a kid who is still a bit apprehensive about showering is that I have to wash him down. There was much water on me and all over the bathroom to be cleaned up after this little escapade. At the rec center I am there in the shower with him ('cause who cares about getting wet when you're in your bathing suit, already wet and smelling like chlorine?). Today was an outside (the shower curtain) job. But still, he got in! I didn't drag him. After 4 1/2 years I've finally managed to convince him that showering is not scary. Now I no longer have to be jealous of my friend's kids who shower while mine was confined to the bath.

Caitlin, sharing the joy of Brandon's shower, inadvertently kept this picture at a PG rating. She joined him in the shower a few minutes later.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the "pg" picture provided by Caitlin!!! and congrats on the big boy shower -- hope he keeps it going!!!

Christa said...

Yeah for showers! Looks like they were having fun. Has he repeated another shower?

Ro said...

Brandon actually requested to take a shower last night. From my understanding of the event (since I elected to wash dishes), he had a lot more fun, and splashed around. He pretty much stood still, just as pictured, for the first shower.