Thursday, May 22, 2008

Clumsy

Guess what I did the other day? Broke my toe. My little toe. On my left foot. It's a lovely shade of black and blue, and taped to the next toe. I'm not even sure how it happened, either. It was Tuesday evening. I know it involved standing up too fast to see what fun thing Brandon had created out of the dirt in our flowerless flowerbed in the front yard, and coming in contact with some flagstone. Then there was an immense amount of pain, which is till there, and bruising began. I had to run (read: limp) to the store in the morning after dropping Brandon off at preschool to buy some flip-flops because I don't actually own any. I decided to get a cute pair, black with sequins and a slight heel, since I'll probably be wearing these for a few weeks. Good thing it's summer, huh? Unfortunately, the strap on the flip flops is irritating me on my right foot. Why? Because last month I slipped down the stairs and sprained my right foot. And it's still swollen! And I'm out of Arnica! It's nuts. I'm walking good these days!

I keep getting advice from nurses and doctors that I know on a social level to try and stay off my feet. It's good advice, but not really practical when attempting to do your best single-mother impersonation while your husband is overseas on business travel. The kids are no help. It's as if my sprained foot and broken little toe scream out in voices only small children can hear, "Hurt me! Step on me! Kick me! Please, please, please inflict pain!" I might heal if I could avoid getting stepped on all the time. I've given up, though.

We're finally not under a tornado watch. One touched down about 50 miles from here this afternoon. We, on the other hand, only suffered from a torrential downpour of rain and pea-sized hair hail for about an hour. Unfortunately it was a hour we decided to spend at a local park, so we were drenched and pummeled, but unhurt. The kids cried on the way to the car in the hail. I'm learning to limp fast! The girlies and I packed up our kids and headed over to our house for lunch. Nothing like 5 kids running around the house. They did play quite well together, and we were able to sit and talk a while. Guess it was a good thing after all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ugh! hard to stay off your feet in a house with so many stairs too! hope you don't hurt yourself worse while limping. i somehow frequently manage to hurt some other part of my body because i'm using it wrong while limping to protect the original strain/sprain/break. bleah.

as an aside, your typo cracked me up: "pea-sized hair"
bwahahahaha!

Ro said...

I just had to correct that!