Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Week (Or So) In Review

It has been a crazy week, hence, no posts. I'll update you on my thrilling week, and then you'll be all caught up! Yeah!

Let's start out on Friday, the 11th. I was heading downstairs to give Caitlin a whoopin' (most likely a time-out, but the whiny phase she's been in is driving me absolutely bonkers). I slipped and fell down the stairs, spraining my foot. I wasn't exactly sure what I did at the time, but it hurt!! I was crying so much and so loudly that Caitlin was scared to come to me. She sat about 3 feet away from me bawling her eyes out. And she's the lucky one! She didn't get her whoopin'! I've heard that if you can bear weight on your foot, then it isn't broken. I was happy that I could hobble about, albeit slowly, and was able to get Brandon from preschool.

Come Saturday, 24 hours after my accident, my foot was black and blue in spots, and was swollen up like a grapefruit, and hard to walk on. The swelling was odd because it took so long. I started to wonder just what I'd done to it. Brian took my to Urgent Care, and I had all the normal x-rays done. I've gone through this sort of stuff a lot with my ankles, so I'm use to it. They were impressed that I'd been doing ibuprofen, ice, and had my foot wrapped in an Ace bandage. Turns out that I only sprained my foot. No big deal. Three hours and one painkiller prescription later I was able to go home. You'd think that my three hours at Urgent Care, spent mostly alone, would have been a nice respite from taking care of the kids. But it wasn't. I was exhausted and cranky when I got home, and had to finish organizing the office closet (the task I was doing when I had to go downstairs in the first place!)!

On Monday my friend Anni flew in for a visit. We've known each other since our college days, even though we didn't actually go to college together. We were both involved in Comedy Sportz, in one way or another, and met there. She became friends with me initially just to spite my boyfriend. He's history, and she's still around! Funny how things work out for the better. And, of all my friends, she's the one who would be most sympathetic to my sprained foot, seeing as she's no speedwalker, either! We made a funny pair, the two of us. Me, hobbling around, and her, having shortness of breath due to the altitude here (my town is at 5,420 feet officially, but our house is a bit higher than that). We were a lot of fun up at Estes Park, which is a small town about 45 minutes from here, and is at 7,500 feet. We had sun, wind, and then snow. Welcome to Colorado, land of schizophrenic weather. Monday was nice. Tuesday was 82 degrees. Wednesday got up to the mid 40's, maybe, and then fell back down to the 20's when the snow started. I think we got 3 inches. It was all melted the next day when we headed back to the airport to drop Anni off. She's on sabbatical, and headed off to the east coast. Hope it's warmer there! The kids missed you for a couple of days, by the way. "Where's Miss Anni?" was one of Caitlin's most oft used phrases on Thursday and Friday.

By the way, did you know that the Stanley Hotel, the inspiration for the Overlook Hotel and the book The Shining, by Stephen King, is located a mere 45 miles from here? If you come, and you're a Stephen King fan, I can take you there. The movie wasn't filmed at the hotel, but the mini-series was. The hotel isn't big, but it's very pretty, and has gorgeous views of the mountains. I took a few pictures. Click here to see them.

Friday I spent most of the afternoon at a friend's house. We sat in the living room while our boys and one I was watching ran around upstairs. The girls were with us, but playing nicely. It was a good move for a sprained-footed gimp such as myself, and a pregnant lady.

Saturday we did a MOPS and Pops Amazing Race event with one of my MOPS groups. It was fun. I couldn't run, but we had a good group. And our kids were at the babysitters! Woo hoo. Our team didn't do so well. But, for having never seen "The Amazing Race" on television, I got the hang of it pretty quick. And I had a good time. My foot was killing me later on in the evening, but the painkillers took care of that.

Other highlights of our week:
  • we got a Wii. It's fun! Brian wants to play it everyday, which is to be expected from a boy.
  • We got a new sofa for our living room, but it won't be in for another month.
  • Brandon and Caitlin really wanted to sleep in the same room, so we did it for 2 days. There is too much giggling when that happens, and Caitlin gets out of her crib to play with Brandon. I'm glad those days are done! Leads to much weeping and gnashing of teeth for mom and dad.
  • The sandbox is now complete. We are sweeping a lot! Sand and hardwood floors don't mix!
  • The snow has melted, returning our backyard to its normal mud/swamp state.

Now, I'm returning to my "normal" life, which involves nap times, time-outs, more Advil, and laundry. It's much more fun when my normal life gets interrupted!

1 comment:

Christa said...

Except for the ankel/foot part (OUCH) it sounds like you had a good visit with Anni