Monday, April 28, 2008

I'm Twwwoooooo!

Caitlin's currently wandering around the house singing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star", except her version goes "Twinkle Twinkle Twinkle Star". I need to tape this and set it up with Brandon's version of the same song. His version, if I remember correctly, involved a lot of jumping up and down in his crib, and may included the use of a pacifier (always helpful when singing).

I haven't done any updates on the kids in a while, so I thought I'd let you in our some snippets of life with Caitlin. She's two years, 3 months. Just a month shy of being the same age Brandon was when she was born! Her vocabulary and speaking abilities are high. When I suggest reading books, a typical response might be "How 'bout "Wheels on the Bus," Mommy?" Or she goes to her bookcase, studies it for a moment, and brings me her hand-selected book. Sometimes she asks for books she doesn't see, so I know that she's usually looking for something specific. Caitlin also negotiates the finer points of breakfast, such as whether or not she's getting toast, fruit bars (cereal bars), or waffles, and whether I've put enough juice in her cup. I've known older kids who don't talk nearly as well as Caitlin. Brandon was the same way, so I just assume all kids this age can adequately converse with me, or tell me how they feel, or tell me if things are a little bit funny.

She has entered what I call the anorexic phase. She is still eating, but it's not much. Her palate is wide, but she vacillates between eating a lot or merely subsisting on air. Maybe that's why she's still mainly wearing the 18-24 month outfits? This is still the girl who gets excited when I cook garbanzo beans, broccoli or cauliflower, wants to eat whatever I eat (and usually off of my plate), and cannot contain herself when I get a salad at a restaurant, since she knows she gets all the tomatoes to herself (as mommy is not a fan of raw tomatoes). During this same phase Brandon ate huge amounts of yogurt. Caitlin eats veggies. Why is getting protein down my kids the hardest thing for me to do?

Other things Caitlin does with frequency:

  • climbs into and out of her crib (bed shopping is coming up soon!)
  • climbs on anything and everything she can
  • tells you that "I'm twoooooo!" whenever the discussion of age come up
  • constantly wants to "go swimming in the wa-der and go down the slide!" (usually uses a deeper voice when talking about the slide)
  • throws toys when she is mad at me
  • talks all the time. It starts as a running commentary on what she sees from the moment she gets up, even if she's half asleep
  • is only silent when she is sleeping
  • constantly wants all my attention
  • constantly wants to do things "all my by self!" That includes getting in and out of the car, the car seat, her booster seat at the table, getting dressed, and walking in public without holding my hand. She attempted to change her own diaper the other day. Luckily it wasn't messy, if you get my drift!
  • is a real pain at restaurants due to her refusal to sit still or to eat
  • wants to listen to or watch anything mentioning "The Wheels on the Bus". Would like it if I sang it to her every night before bed.
  • loves her brother, and wants to share all ideas and thoughts with him

She has her crazy, whiny moments (days) when I would like to trade her up for the silent model. Brian keeps telling me I can't do that. She can be sweet and endearing, like when she tells me "Been a long time since tell Brandon I love him," and then tears up. She says this when he's in school, so it's sweet and silly all at the same time. That's my girl!

1 comment:

Christa said...

Treasure these moments.