Tuesday, April 01, 2008

We Have a Sleeping Area

One of our requirements when we bought our house was that we have an area for guests. We love having guests, and want them to feel welcome when they stay here. Our guest area is in our finished basement, which also has it's own 3/4 bathroom. Our basement is a partial basement, though, which means it's about 200 square feet, or as big as a medium sized living room. Small for a basement around here (the first house we put an offer on has a 1,000 square foot basement!), but a nice bonus none-the-less. Since we only had enough furniture for our previous, 1300 square foot house, nothing has been down there except kiddo toys. And, really, the kids love having their toys there, and so do we (our house looks so much cleaner)!

Lately, though, I've been anxious about getting some furniture for the living room and some sort of sleeping piece for the basement. We've been here almost 6 months and I've been fine without them, and now I'm anxious? Go figure.... But thanks to my friend Phyllis, who recently moved to Colorado, I was introduced to the wonders of the daybed. I've known about them for years, and knew that they came with trundles. What I didn't know was that some trundles can expand upwards, putting the two mattresses at the same level. Viola! A king sized (or close to it) bed. When not in use, the trundle can fold back under the bed, making the day bed more like a sofa. Not only do we get a sofa in the basement, but our guests get a mattress. Of course, we still have our aerobed and other camping airbed, so we can accommodate several people at one time.

Currently, this is what our basement looks like (usually without Brandon having a picnic on the bed):

But now when you come, you get this (minus all of us on the bed, and with sheets and blankets, of course). You also get the basement to yourself, which is nice when you want a little privacy, and you get your own bathroom.
Or, we can break the twin beds apart, if you prefer sleeping alone. I have lots of blankets:
However, if you look the other way, you still see this (minus the one-legged Caitlin):
I still haven't managed to get the fully presentable house. I sometimes wonder if that's possible with little kids. Or with kids of any age. (???) But my house is comfy, and you're always welcome. The basement is cool in the summer, too, so it will be the "in" place to stay!


1 comment:

Christa said...

Sounds and looks good to me!
I will have to try it out.