Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Pool Time

Did I mention that Caitlin loves swimming? Earlier this month some friends invited us to go swimming at their local rec center, and Caitlin has not stopped talking about it. It's been about 3 weeks now, and she still mentions going "swimming the water and going down the slide(!)". The frequency has gone down, though, from 10 times a day to about 3. I only wish I was exaggerating. At least we knew that she had a good time!

Today we again headed over to the pool at the B-Town rec center. It's fairly new (less than 5 years old), and is a fun place. Brandon did 2 months of preschool there in the early learning center last summer. I'm not sure why I didn't think of going to the pool then. Oh yeah -now I remember - the thought of dealing with a crying, water-scared Brandon by myself, along with dealing with Caitlin at 18 months by myself, coupled with my own seemly perpetual exhaustion, didn't seem like a lot of fun. Now I know that Caitlin *loves* the water (she'd swim daily if she could), and Brandon is quickly growing out of his fear of water (and also his fear of just wearing swim trunks without a t-shirt). And, get this, he'll take a shower at the rec center after pool time is done. Now that's impressive. He hates showers!
Before heading out the pool

After pool time is done

The pool at the rec center is a feat of planning and engineering mastery at it's finest. It has an inner tube slide, a body slide, a butterfly toddler slide, a lazy river, a family hot tub, an adult hot tub, and a 3 lane lap pool, where lessons are also held. It also has varying depths from 0 feet 0 inches to 8 feet, and benches that run along the toddler area and family hot tub area. We start out at the kids area, where Brandon loves to go down the butterfly side, and tip over buckets of water onto his head from a huge fountain-esce structure designed for kids. Caitlin loves to walk in that area until she can't keep her head about water. Eventually this all leads to going around the underwater jet-propelled lazy river, in which you can't help but move. Caitlin at that point starts to tell me how much she wants to go down the body slide, which is a large, 2-story yellow chute slide. She has to ride on my lap, which requires many many trips upstairs. It's fun, though, and I'm glad she likes it. Brandon also likes the slide, but not to the same degree. He did go down 3 times with me today! I'm so proud of him. I've enrolled him in swimming lessons in June, so I hope he can handle it. It's at a different rec center, closer to home, which is not nearly as cool, so I hope he can handle that also!

View of the pool area
View of the 2 slides. The yellow one is the fav.



More views of the 2-story body slide.


Of course, no visit to the rec center is complete without a stop at the play area. This was the first play area the kids really liked, and one we went to frequently due to the hot Colorado summer!

2 comments:

Christa said...

Sounds like fun. I want to come ♥

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Oh my goodness, what a totally cool place to take the kids! WOW! I wonder why more communities don't have places like this. Parents would surely be grateful!