Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Colorado Weather

September has arrived! September in California is quite a warm month. How can I ever forget the hot streak that happened the week preceding and following Brandon's birth! The temperatures hovered around 100, which is not all that fun when you are immensely pregnant and don't have central A/C. I went to the hospital at midnight on the 16th, and it was still 84 degrees outside. They were going to send me home, but I begged to be allowed to labor on in the maternity ward, since they had A/C (in fact, it was freezing! Just above 60 degrees in my birthing room). It was a slow night, so they let me stay.

Then there's Colorado. It's been progressively getting cooler here, but was still in the upper 80's every day last week. In July/August we had 24 days above 90 degrees, and the lows were in the upper 60's. Which, I realize, is nothing for those of you who live in the central valley, but hot none-the-less. Cold fronts move down from Canada here, or from Seattle, so we had some odd weather in late August - 50 degrees and raining for three days. Snow covered the mountain peaks for about a week. September 1st here was 85 degrees. Yesterday hit about 64. Today, maybe 70. Tomorrow should be about the same, but Friday might hit 55. The highs are hitting right around 4:00 pm, then quickly falling. I put on my sandals today when I rushed over to the school to get Brandon, and they are too big! I almost tripped over myself just walking to his class! My feet swell just a bit in the summer, which means that the sandals I wear all summer have a slightly snug fit. Just enough to keep my feet in them. But when it's cold, they barely stay on. I have the same issue with my hands. My big knuckles are the only reason my rings stay on during the winter.

This weather makes me realized that I'm ready for the hot summer days, and hot summer nights, to end. But, even in as much as I love winter, I'm not quite ready for it yet either. The cold temperatures don't feel as bad as they should here due to the almost complete lack of moisture in the air during winter. But it's not winter, yet! There is still some moisture in the air (although you can feel it leaving). The winds off the Rockies at 6:30 this morning were pretty bitter, though, and make me wonder how I'm going to get out and exercise at all in the next few months. Guess I need to break out those cold-weather sweats I got many years back, and gloves. It's suppose to be back up to 80 by the middle of next week, but I don't think the evening and morning lows will be back up to the 60's. I hate hot Septembers. Always have. Now I'm getting the type of weather I want in September - cooler - and yet I am complaining. So typical of me.

No comments: