Thursday, September 04, 2008

Shattered Glass

See this.... Know what it is? A big spider? An asterisk? Take a guess. I'll bet you can guess what it is....

If you guessed a cracked windshield on my car, you are right! Woo hoo! Bonus points for you!

Now, if you can guess what caused it, you'll be the smartest person reading this blog. Okay, go...

1....

2...

3...

Give up? Here's the answer...

CAITLIN'S HEAD!!!

Yes, you heard me right. Caitlin's head caused a huge crack in my windshield this morning. At least that's the story I got. The crack itself is bigger than my whole hand, with fingers spread apart.

Usually the kids, once shoes are on, will head out to the garage and get in the car a few minutes before me. That's the time I'm gathering up the cups, lunches, my bag, etc. You moms and dads know how that goes. Brandon opens up the car door, and they get into their seats. Today was no different, except for the fact that Caitlin went into the car and evidently got into my seat. We were on our way to my MOPS steering meeting, and the kids went into the garage. I grabbed my finance stuff and my bag, Brandon's kindergarten stuff, lunch for the kids, and their cups. I went out into the garage a few minutes later, put the stuff on the passenger side, and went to strap the kids in. They were both very quiet, although Caitlin was sniffling. Since I hadn't seen the cracked windshield yet (it's on the drivers side, near the top), Brandon proceeded to tell me all about it. Then Caitlin began to cry, since I guess she'd managed to stifle it when I came into the garage. But still, it wasn't a hard cry.

I'm not sure exactly what happened, except that it involved some sort of jumping that lead to the breaking of the windshield. There was some crying, but no cuts, bruises, or anything else that you would expect from a kid who'd just cracked the car windshield with her head. I talked with Caitlin and examined her head. I made her do a few things, like follow my finger with her eyes. I had her walk around for a couple of minutes to see if she was doing anything funny. She wasn't acting any any different, but I asked the childcare workers keep an extra eye on her. They said she was fine the whole time.

Now here's the weird thing.... the crack not the inside. You can barely feel it on the outside, though. It's almost like it's inside the glass. I'm going to have to do some more investigating in the garage to see if I see anything might have fallen on the window. Or is that how safety glass works? Caitlin did bring a wooden train with her into the car. Maybe that was the culprit? I didn't really get the whole story. It did make us about 15 minutes late, though. We were doing good this morning, too. We would have been early. I don't need any help being late to stuff - being on time is hard enough for me. It was difficult before having kids, and got worse after they were born! Then, on top of it all, the MOPS leader was really pissed off that I was late! Seriously? That floored me. My kid is always more important than MOPS. Always. I reminded myself that this is only a one-year commitment. That became obvious not long after I join and started hanging out with everyone. Anyway, I need to talk to Brandon after kindergarten and find out what he says happened. I'll let you know the whole story, from the mouth of a kindergartner, once I get it straight!

For now, I'll just settle with calling our insurance agency. I need a new windshield.

2 comments:

threeforme said...

I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. What if her head really did that? New meaning for "hard headed."

Carol said...

Wow well you know if it was going to be one of your kido's it'd be Catlin. Glad she's okay