Thursday, November 15, 2007

Automatic Doors

Tonight Brandon asked why his door automatically shuts when it's not connected to the doorstop. I can't answer why the door shuts. Sorry kid. It's just a curse you have to deal with (as his door in California wouldn't stay open, either). What we really want to know is: what other 4 year olds use the word "automatically"? He already chooses selections in his books with multiple stories. But "automatically"? Maybe we have another English major on our hands.

4 comments:

threeforme said...

Padyn-she uses the word to describe the toilets that flush on their own. Although, usually she uses the adjective, not the adverb. As in, "Is this toilet automatic, Mommy?"

Weird, weird children we've bred.

Anonymous said...

I learned a new word from a customer last week: "automagically". A network admin uses it all the time to describe how software (particularly Microsoft software) works even though it's configured wrong. I've found many good uses for this new word in regular life too. Another new word that's growing on me: "misunderestimate".
;-)

Ro said...

Padyn using the word doesn't surprise me! She and Brandon are very similar in many ways. I'm more suprised they both don't say "automagically", considering we still go the the "Butterfly Papilion" (Pavilion), and I haven't convinced Brandon that the main character from "Cars" is named "Lightning McQueen", not "Lightning NaQueen". He regularly tells me how wrong I really am.

Ro said...

ooh... I like "misunderestimate". Is that when you underestimate so badly that you are the laughing stock of those around you?