Friday, November 02, 2007

Middle-Class Mom

Today, after dropping Brandon off at preschool, which I drove to in my SUV, I went shopping. It really is easier with one kid, even if it's Caitlin. I went to Target. Super Target. I needed groceries and snow boots for the kids. Then I went to Safeway. While there I got a Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks. Then it hit me. I am such a middle-class mom! I rarely stop to get coffee, and can only recall one other time I purchased coffee while shopping. But still. My SUV. Target. Safeway. Starbucks. It's only a matter of time before I buy a beige house on a nice street in a good school district. Oh wait.... I already did that!

Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining about my life. I just think it's funny that I've somehow morphed into the person that I am, and not all of it was on purpose. I did some things right - I went to college right after high school, and graduated. I got a job. I worked my way up. I switched careers. Then I did some things a little off. I didn't meet my husband until I was in my late 20's. I got married at 29. A lot of my friends wanted their kids before they were 30. I would have had to have gotten pregnant on my honeymoon for that to happen (literally). I didn't think much about it, but I didn't really want to have kids before 30. I wanted to know I could support my family if I needed to, and now I know that I can. Maybe I'll go back to work someday. I ponder it, but I'm too busy with the kids at this time in my life, and theirs. I'm finding it funny that I am so common, so average. I am like sooo many women out there. And yet different. We all want so much to be unique, but yet we are just droplets in a big bucket of water. And as different as we are, there is so much about us that is the same.

I don't really know how to end this, except by saying that it's time to go. To get in the car and pick up my son at preschool. He'll be happy to see me, and Caitlin will be happy to play. Then we'll head home to our PB&J, and naps. Content. Average.

2 comments:

threeforme said...

It is interesting that we all long to be unique, noticed, special. Pride? That pesky human-ness? You miss a good discussion about that in bible study a couple weeks ago.

I think you touched on the key of our current existence, though. Contentment. This is where we are right now. Mostly by choice, but partially because it's what our lives as SAHMs demand. It's not bad...we can find the joy in it. But we sometimes have to seek it, don't we.

Ok, all done preaching now.

Ro said...

I have a hard time being content sometimes. It comes and goes! I seriously hate to stand out in a crowd, but I have to admit that it can be nice in smaller circles. Pride... it just keeps rearing its ugly head!