Sunday, November 04, 2007

A Visit From Friends

Our friends Matt and Coralie came up to visit this weekend. We knew them back in California. They're currently in Colorado Springs for some training, and came up to S-Town to see us. It was so fun. Their daughter Rayya is 2 1/2. Old enough to play with Brandon, but still young enough that Caitlin didn't bug her. It was fun to see the kids interacting. Brandon loves having people over to the house, and is constantly asking me when we can have friends over. Almost - I'm almost done unpacking!

We had fun just talking again. Just catching up on what's happening in their lives and talking about our own. It's been a while since we've seen them. And they're pregnant! That was a surprise when I opened the door. 6 months along. The baby is due January 17th, which is right before Caitlin's birth date, so I could relate to exactly where Coralie was at when she talked about her pregnancy. Funny how some little details never go away. I don't remember all the pain or physical uncomfort of pregnancy, but I remember what I was doing and how I felt at the time. Brandon was excited to play with someone new, and Rayya was excited about Brandon's toys. Someone else's toys are always so much better than your own. Especially when you're not at your own house for many weeks.

Brandon and Rayya in Brandon's room


I can't tell you how nice it was to just sit and talk with old friends. It felt so... normal. We have found a church here, and started getting involved. But we haven't really made friends. We're still on an acquaintance level with everyone. I haven't yet figured out how to get together with other families to get to know them. We haven't had to make friends from scratch for a long time. As a singleton or as part of a couple, I usually did the dinner route. That was always a nice safe way to get to know someone. But dinner with the kids is something that I usually want to avoid these days! I love having people over, so I'll have to do that more often, now that I've found the dishes. I like having friends who are in the same stage of life as me. All friends are good, but ones that understand you have to be home for naps, or that being out past 8:00 with kids is a no-no, are priceless. And hard to find. I am sad we had to leave family and friends to start our new life, and I hope to make new friends soon.

A quiet moment for the parents to talk while the kids were mesmerized by "Toddler Tunes" and lollipops

No comments: