Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving on Our Own

Today was the first Thanksgiving that I can recall when I was not with family. It's been a little strange. Not bad, just different. Brian and I were excited to try and cook our own turkey. We've spent all these years collecting cooking ware and baking thermometers, and thought we should put it to good use. I managed to find a 10 pounder at Wal-Mart the other day. All for a whopping $3.50. For some reason, I thought turkey's were expensive. Our turkey was delicious! Very moist and tasty. I made apple, bacon and sage stuffing as well. We rounded the meal off with mashed potatoes. No real veggies, but we'll survive that for one day. Tomorrow's dinner will be turkey burgers, and Saturday we'll have turkey tortilla soup. Some friends are coming over Saturday, so that should use up even more turkey!

It didn't get above freezing today. I can't remember if it was 26 or 28. Either way, it was a might bit chilly outside. Brandon loves playing in the snow and clearing the deck. Caitlin, we're not so sure. She wants to put on her "boops" (boots) and gloves, but she never seems to have a good time outside. She tromps around, and then cries. Eventually she sits in the snow and gets all wet. We need to find some plastic-y snow pants for her to wear this winter.

We've had a interesting year so far. We made a huge decision earlier in the year, and shipped our family almost half way across the US, away from family and friends. We've moved twice and lived in 3 houses in the last 6 months. The kids have had huge mood swings on a regular basis, most likely due to all the changes in our lives. It's been a challenge. Making friends has been a little tougher than expected. Our pace of life has quickened with the introduction of Brandon's Pre-K class and involvement in our new church. I am thankful, though, for the consistencies in my life. My family. My husband and children. My good friends. My God. The things He shown me about myself in the last few months (whether I like it or not!). His unfailing love and grace. I am thankful for His grace, and the grace He has shown others.

Happy Thanksgiving. I hope your day has been filled with love and grace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving from out West, and a bit late. I'm playing blog catch-up piecemeal.

I kind of envy the weather you're having. I miss having four seasons.

Chrissy said...

We miss you, too. When are you coming for a visit? Ron and Tasra just moved back (to Cupertino). Your meal sounds yummy!