Monday, November 03, 2008

Battling Pre-Election Sludge

I'm excited to vote. Really. I'm not excited by the horrid lines that seem to be commonplace in Colorado (at least according to the news and friends), but I'm excited to get out there tomorrow and vote! I'm also excited that after tomorrow, no one should send me anymore of the political paperwork. We are drowning in the stuff. If we had a wood-burning fireplace, we'd have it made! Instead, it's off to the recycling bin we go. The TV adds, the online adds, the people walking down my neighborhood either knocking on doors or hanging stuff on my doorknobs. All of it should be stopping soon! This is the sign outside my door:


People mock me for it. Everyone has to comment on it. Why is it so blunt? What's the point? The point is this: as a stay-at-home-mom, I'm home more than most people. But I don't want to discuss viewpoints, religion, saving the waterways, politics, or anything else for that matter, with someone I don't know. The issues are valid, but catching me during my half-hour of "me time" during the day doesn't win you any points! I'm in no mood to discuss something I might be unfamiliar with. And everyone thinks they are an exception! The Jehovah's Witnesses thought that "No Soliciting" was just for door-to-door salesmen. The environmentalists (of which there are thousands in Colorado) thought my "No Soliciting" sign was just for political people, etc. So it includes everyone. The door-to-door political affiliated have actually been reading the sign. I may get stuff hung on my doorknob, but no one rings the doorbell. Thats' nice. And, while I'm getting out to vote tomorrow, I'm leaving the sign up. I am so glad the political trash will all stop! After tomorrow, no one will care about getting my vote, just that I voted.

No comments: