Saturday, November 29, 2008

Going Forward Toward Winter

It snowed last night. More than the weather forecasters predicted, but not much. Maybe a couple of inches. The kids couldn't wait to bundle up in their snowsuits, mittens and boots and got out into the back yard! The snow is late this year, so it's a very welcomed sight in these parts. Our first, light snowfall this year didn't happen until November 14th, and was completely melted by noon. Last year it was in October 21st. The second snowfall was on November 21st, the day before Thanksgiving, and that was it.... it was no longer warm after that. Warm being anything above the mid 50's really. It's not as bad as it sounds. The air is so dry here that a sunny, 50 degree day requires a long-sleeved shirt, but sometimes not even a sweatshirt! Of course, then there are the cloudy or windy days, which require body armour! But I digress.....

I think we reached the it's-not-going-to-be-warm-for-a-while point last night. I was struck with that thought as the snow softly fell, and then again this afternoon as I folded a pair of capri sweats and a short sleeved shirt fresh from the dryer. Won't need those for another 6 months! I put away Caitlin's size 18-24 month and size 2 capri's in mid-October, since it was cold, and then had to drag them out again right after Halloween for the 75-80 degree days we had! Quite honestly, I didn't think we would need them again! Yesterday I boxed up a bunch of summer clothes that won't fit her again. It's nice to have a basement to store them in, but I'll need to find someone who likes hand-me-downs. Who wants to hold on to kid clothes forever?

I'm grateful for fall and winter. It's so nice to actually look forward to summer! I was really really waiting for it this year, as our cold spring seemed to drag on forever. No greenery. No flowers. In my longing I realized that I couldn't remember the last time I longed for summer. Of course, that first hot day hit, and I started wondering why I wished for them in the first place! California's mild winters that give way to hot summers don't make you long for summer. I always longed for winter and rain. Since winter here isn't as harsh as it elsewhere in the states you can have fun. A few cold weeks does make you understand why people pack up and move to warmer climates. In a few more months you'll hear me complaining about the cold!
We found out that the new play area in the mall just opened up yesterday. At least I'll have somewhere to go in the winter when the kids just need to run around. Yay!

No comments: