Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Perioral Dermatitis

Last spring I developed a strange rash on my face. It was small, just around my nose, and was easily covered with makeup. Still, I don't like things like that - things that develop where they shouldn't. Thinking it was just acne, I went out and bought some face wash with benzoyl peroxide. This never worked for me as a teenager, but worked miracles when I was pregnant with Brandon. Well, it didn't work. In fact, it made things worse. I went back to face washes and makeup that I knew wouldn't bother me. Still nothing. Then the rash got worse. It started to spread down to my chin, and I got some odd bumps and flakiness around my eyes. So last week, when my face was red, scaly and very itchy, I made an appointment. Tired of trying to cover it, I decided to treat it. Turns out I have perioral dermatitis. A very, very non-life-threatening, but oh-so-very embarrassing rash around the nose and mouth that affects mostly women my age. On the bright side, my case is mild. On the not-so-bright side, it can be chronic. There's no one cause for it, and it should clear up easily now that I've got a prescription cream for it. If it doesn't, I need to get on a 6 week round of antibiotics. While I have nothing against them, I think I'll try the topical cream first.

I've been advised to discontinue any heavy creams on my face, and to wash with soap-free cleansers. Soap-free cleansers are a way of life for me, but I had been using a heavy night cream, recommended by a friend to help with the ill effects of Colorado's ultra-dry weather. It was a trusted brand I'd tried a few years. While it was not the culprit, using the face cream caused the perioral dermatitis to get much worse. So long Arbonne Re-9 night cream. You didn't do me any favors! Oily skinned girls like me don't need heavy night creams or serums anyway! The more I try to do with my face, the worse it gets. Simple seems to the best way for me to go. So, back to natural and/or organic cleansers and moisturizers I go.

I'm really glad I went in and got something to treat my lovely rash. I'm tired of having a bright red rash on my face. I can cover the redness with makeup for a short time, but that is time consuming, tiring, and makes the dermatitis itch. It's a constant reminder of how vain I can be when faced with imperfections. Proverbs 31:30 says that "Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting: but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." We all know the truth in that scripture, and agree with it. Beauty is fleeting for everyone, and those who won't, or can't accept that fact face a tough road ahead of them. Ever seen those crazy looking women who've had too much plastic surgery? Or the man with the toupee or comb-over? They don't look normal! What about the people who over-exercise to look younger and thinner, or dress like someone 15 years younger? I'm all for looking good. I'm all for exercising and eating right. And, there is a lot of style out there to be found (you just have to really search for it sometimes). Still, it's embarrassing to have a red rash on my face, of all places! I'm learning a lesson, though, that my beauty is not found in my face. My appearance cannot be my only measure of beauty! I've known plenty of gorgeous people, and those with horrid personalities soon lose their beautiful state in my eyes. They become hard to look at in light of the way they treat others and behave. So, I know that beauty is fleeting, and in the eye on the beholder. I do know that, deep down inside. But I still want my normal face back! Hopefully I've learned enough of a lesson that I can go back to my rash-less self.

3 comments:

Reinbold Family said...

I was goggling "perioral dermititis" and came across your blog...I think I am suffering with the same condition. I have had flare-ups on and off for several years, starting after my first pregnancy. My doc has prescribed all sorts of things, the lastest being "bactoban" and my face nearly fell off it burned so bad and made the rash flare up even worse and spread. I was wondering what your doc prescribed...? I needed to be reminded of that verse in Proverbs as well, and yet I just want to be done with the yucky redness and looking like a teenager with a bad case of acne. Could you email me with what seems to be working for you, I could maybe recommend it to my doc?! Thanks! maribethreinboldca@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hi, I also suffer from peri-oral dermatitis. I, on the other hand, think my case is so bad that I will never get over it. Along with the red face, I get flaky skin around my mouth, nose and more recenlty on my cheeks, forehead and even on one eyebrow! I think that I am doing ok because I don't feel the dryness, but then I will look in the mirror and I have scaly skin around my mouth. This has really taken over my life! I just want it to go away. It makes me long for the days when I had nice, healthy skin. I think I did this to myself by not washing my face enough or wearing too much make-up or the wrong make-up altogether. I have been down the same road of trying everything under the sun to fix it and it only gets worse. I have finally talked with a doctor and today I start a round of antibiotics. I really hope it helps. Does anyone out there know if dandruff is related to perioral dermatitis in anyway? I suffer from a very bad case of dandruff. Thanks.

Ro said...

My dermatologist initially prescribed a topical antifungal cream called Alcortin A. Not cheap! It didn't work very well, so I called again and got on an antibiotic called Doxycycl HYC, 50 mg, for 6 weeks, and it has worked wonders! While it's never fun to take antibiotics, it's sometimes necessary